Mercury Cougar Owners banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Looks like serious fab work from start to finish! It's fun looking over your shoulder, thanks for sharing your work.

As I watch, I wonder if I would be up for such a task. I could handle the fab work and I like the creative part of doing things like that. Guessing it is pretty serious money for the suspension, the drivetrain and all the ancillary bits. My restoration stopped at minor mod work, I just barely broke into restomod territory. Maybe in retirement something like you are doing would be just the ticket for me. Some of the parts will be cheaper by then too!

Nice work BTW!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Looks like serious fab work from start to finish! It's fun looking over your shoulder, thanks for sharing your work.

As I watch, I wonder if I would be up for such a task. I could handle the fab work and I like the creative part of doing things like that. Guessing it is pretty serious money for the suspension, the drivetrain and all the ancillary bits. My restoration stopped at minor mod work, I just barely broke into restomod territory. Maybe in retirement something like you are doing would be just the ticket for me. Some of the parts will be cheaper by then too!

Nice work BTW!
Thanks 1969XR7Vert. I sometimes wonder if I'll be up to the task with the limited free time and funds I have. I just try to keep chugging away bit by bit and hope my ideas work considering this is my first coyote swap. What makes it a challenge is not using what's already available. I like to be different or maybe I just like the punishment. Lol. I can't really take the credit because people have already done what I have, just for a different application. I got the idea for the hydraulic clutch from the vintage mustang forum (66 mustang application) and using the wedge (Boss '9 Mustang application) from a Facebook group I joined that's dedicated to coyote swaps.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I can't wait to see the final product! I think all of the challenges to do this swap are enough to frighten many away - so it's cool to watch it being done.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I used a hydroboost from an 03 on my build as well! That's kinda strange..............

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well we both have 67-8 Cougars and we both used an 03 Cobra part. I just thought was strange is all...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Any new updates on the build?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Any new updates on the build?
Unfortunately none yet. I did get new brackets for the KRC pump and brembo brakes. I decided to switch rotors on the brembo brakes to expand my wheel selection when the time comes. The calipers will sit further inboard now.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey! I don't know how I missed this thread! That Coyote model is mine, from GrabCad! I bugged the heck out of Ford Racing for a day and they finally sent me a FTP link to that model, which was apparently available for their suppliers. Head geometry/internals/the intake were all stripped out and they couldn't give me any more. If you need any help, just let me know.

Good luck with the project! Here's why I needed that Coyote model to begin with... :D

4-4-13 Coyote.jpg 20140520_190107.jpg

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Hey! I don't know how I missed this thread! That Coyote model is mine, from GrabCad! I bugged the heck out of Ford Racing for a day and they finally sent me a FTP link to that model, which was apparently available for their suppliers. Head geometry/internals/the intake were all stripped out and they couldn't give me any more. If you need any help, just let me know.

Good luck with the project! Here's why I needed that Coyote model to begin with... :D

View attachment 81689 View attachment 81697
Where do I place my order Dylan?! :buck:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

View attachment 81689 View attachment 81697
Cool GT001! I actually found the link through another forum that lead me to GrabCad. Thanks for posting it there. It has definitely made it easier to model up and fabricate some of the brackets I needed especially the engine lift fixture. Great project by the way. What CAD program are you using?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks. I have made some massive modifications to that old kit manufacturer built GT40 frame and I've done all the mockup in CAD. The headers alone I've drawn and scrapped a few times already. Clearances are measured in tenths of an inch, in a lot of cases... Glad it's helping people out. I can't believe Ford doesn't release more models like GM does with their LS series engines- it would really increase sales of the crates! I keep on sending them the Grabcad link every few months to show how much attention it's getting, in the hope that they take the hint and officially release some stuff.

I'm using Solid Edge for my CAD work- Basically the baby brother to UG/NX.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Very impressive building skills, nice job. What control arms are those, not typical Mustang II stuff?
Thanks DragBoss. The suspension kit is Art Morrison's Sport IFS kit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Haven't had much time to work on my car. Helping my brother out on his mustang. Figure I'll post some picture to prove I'm doing work. ;) I hope to get back on it this long weekend.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
A few updates. Was able to roll the car out of the garage this weekend on it's own suspension. Finished welding in the upper control arm gussets, upper shock mounts, and frame boxing plates. Still need to weld in the down tubes and shock tower delete plates, but I will first fab up the transmission cross member so I can return the coyote motor to my buddy.

Hope the car is not sitting too low once the real wheels and tires are on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Fabbed and installed my transmission cross member

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Need to come up with a solution to my next problem. The Gen 2 coyote engines have Charge Motion Control Valves (CMCV) at the back of the intake. I used a a Gen I coyote for mock-up. Hopefully I can come up with something when the new crate engine arrives.

Engine is nicely set back for handling. Problem, no room for valves.

41 - 60 of 112 Posts