Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
390 4V built to kill

Presently working on my 3rd '69 Convertible after taking a 17 year break. 351W 4V w/ C4 built to MOVE just installed and hopefully off to the paint shop in a few weeks.

351W
9.5:1 Comp
Heads ported/polished by "Heads by Harold"
600 cfm Eldebrock
Eldebrock Performer Intake
Semi-mild cam
Hooker Super Competition Headers
Dual Flowmasters
C4 Modified by Paul Riley Performance Transmissions
B&M Shifter

It has been a long time since I've done this. Did all the work except the engine on the 1st and 2nd one myself. Painted them both with DuPont Black 99A and Poly Clear coats. Now getting to lazy to do the stuff myself...

Anyone got some MINT door and quarter glass...

PS...hopefully the pic will post...new at the pic attachment stuff

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Looks pretty good. Nice performance mods too! Is that 600cfm edelbrock enough for that 351? - Chad

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carbs...

Well the "pros" I talk to say the 600 will be the best fit for the 351W the way I have the car set up. I have an Eldebrock 750 sitting in a box just in case, but I am told the 600 will provide a better "bottom end" set up for the car.

I originally thought the 750 would be the way to go and bought it, but was talked out of it...we will see.

Oh, thought I would ad another pic.

Another thing...damn is NOS chrome and aluminum trim expensive!!!!

My current project is ringing up the $$

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another pic...

The 351W 4V I am currently working on will pretty much look just as this one does...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hmmm, looking to getrid of the 750 carb?? i have a 351C im planning to get into very soon and i think that would work on it. ( well i hope ) is a4 spd with 3.50 gears, so it wil be in the upper reaches of the revs a bit more than my Cougar.... maybe i can make it all work...... BTW i have a 600 Holley on my Cougars 351, its fine

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Eldebrock 750...

Seems to me I saw your name selling some parts...
I could be wrong, but if not I would be willing to trade the carb.
It is brand new from Summit. Believe I still have the receipt...
I need GLASS and NOS trim pieces...or anything else of interest.

Dave

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is that a Dark Green car or is it Black? Either way it looks great! - Chad

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Black or Green?

Black...DuPont 99A

Three coats black, two coats DuPont Poly Clear. Shot it myself in my garage in Ohio at the time. Now live in California. I used to paint quite a bit. Had a custom paint shop on the side while I was in the Air Force in New Mexico. Now no facilities, nor the time.
My present priject, the '69 Cougar 351W will be taken to Sierra Auto Body, where theie specialty is classic car restorations. They do absolutely beautiful work. AND I am picky, but I have seen their stuff so I am confident mine will turn out alright.
Just need to get the engine and drivetrain completed and I am getting close.
The pic below is in Ohio and my house/garage paint shop. The Cougar was just painted and waiting fro the trim to be installed. The Toyota next to it I did in a tri color combo with all Porsche colors and clear coated. Kind of miss doing the work, but the mess does not allow for it where I live now...my neighbors would shoot me...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ahhhh the good old NOS parts, dont have anyof those ( im just a 20 year old punk kid ) but i am currently laid off, and as a result i do scrounge the junkyards a whole lot, so i do see a few Cougars now and then. if you don mind junk yard glass, i know i can get that. what do you need??? ill take a look. as a matter of fact, im about to go right now, i doubt that youll get this in time, but still, at least i can find out for next time. i go about twice a week. By the Way, i am kind of into auto body and paint as well, i am only an amatuer with a couple of cars udner my belt, but its fun for me. I shot my own Cougar ( first crack a body work, so there are some waves in it ) it is RM Acrylic Laquer with Valspar Urethane clear over it. Yes it does stick, and no i am not having any issues with the clear and the laquer. if anything its not sticking to the primer all that well in sme spots. nothing bad, just a few stone chips made themselves known a little more than if i would have used something else. and yes i did shoot it here in Southern Cali....... ( yes illegal, but, errrrrr, it was old paint, and free is better than good ) i still looks good to me.so let me know if you are interested in the glass. i can get it, but if you only want NOS or other new parts its ok too. im just too young and poor for a lovely NOS warehouse at the moment lol

·
Registered
448 Posts
Shizoku,
You engine build sounds very similar to the one in my 69 XR7 Convertible that I recently put back on the road. I also have two 69 cougar doors in my attic. If the door glass is the same for a hard top or a convertible let me know and maybe we can work something out. They are original glue in glass from a 69 parts car I bought for the front grille. I am not sure whether they are tinted or not, I'll check. Either way, good luck with the cat.
Paul G.

You can see the complete resto job on my 69 at-http://home.sprynet.com/~pamar/cougar.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts