Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my current Cougar is not post worthy yet, I thought that I would share some memories. These are pictures of my first Cougar, first car, first project. They were taken at a local car show back in 1980. I bought this car in 1978 and spent every spare minute and every cent on it. Being young and stupid I sold it to a friend in Austin Texas in 1982. He traded it less than a year later for a pickup truck. Last time I saw it it had no motor and was sitting on a flatbed truck going south on I35. I had just enlisted and gotten married - rescue was out of the question. Unfortunately I cannot find anything with the VIN, so I do not know what happened to it........

Attachments

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
'nuther pic

Here's another view

Attachments

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The back - yes, it has 70 taillights. I liked them better!
It also hjas 70 elimoinater side stripes and XR7 emloems from a 75 on the rear quarters!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And the engine.
A 351C with quench chamber heads, Holley Intake and 750 carb, Crane Cam, Holley electric fuel pump and regulator, Accel dual point, Super coil, Blackjack headers feeding a 3000 rpm B&M stall converter, FMX tranny and 3.70 rearend. She ran low 14s on the belted G60-14s.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Logan: Put a spell chhecker in here, would ya!:p

Somewhere I have some pictures of her when I bought her. Light yellow, grey primer, smacked rear quarter......

Ah well, enjoy!:D

·
Registered
364 Posts
It must hurt a bit...

to look at those photos, Rktmn. All that work!

But, hey, at least you start the current one knowing you CAN get it done!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, this one will be better. Older, wiser (read that as more money) and this one has a big block.:D
It's been media blasted and is all in primer now, so I guess it's about time I got started on my own Cougar webpage. Got alot of scanning to do....
:p

·
Registered
519 Posts
The more I see those '69's the more i like them! :D

Your old Cougar has a good muscle car look, especially like that front air damn (spoiler?)! Gives it a meaner look IMO

·
Registered
364 Posts
Rocket, about the new Cougar....

I see you own two of them, so you obviously like them. What do you think about them? Did they do it right in your opinion?

I personally was a little disappointed in the interior. The outside was okay, about a 7 out of ten, but the interior seemed a bit lacking. I see they have an XR model but only in one color (red) and it doesn't seem to be anything even close to an XR-7 in styling or features.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts