Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have owned a 1968 Cougar XR7 since 1984, and I am currently restoring a 1970 Cougar. The car was just painted last Saturday. The car was originally pastel blue paint with a medium blue metallic painted top and a medium blue interior. 1 of only 2 made. As much as I like to preserve Cougars to original that was just too 1970 for me. After some thought and getting a sample of paint from the local O'reillys I decided to paint the car Acapulco Blue and then put a black vinyl top on it.

Here is a link to the youtube video I just made if anyone is interested.

Kendal

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Hello all!

I have owned a 1968 Cougar XR7 since 1984, and I am currently restoring a 1970 Cougar. The car was just painted last Saturday. The car was originally pastel blue paint with a medium blue metallic painted top and a medium blue interior. 1 of only 2 made. As much as I like to preserve Cougars to original that was just too 1970 for me. After some thought and getting a sample of paint from the local O'reillys I decided to paint the car Acapulco Blue and then put a black vinyl top on it.

Here is a link to the youtube video I just made if anyone is interested.

Kendal
Wow, the car looks great! Did you paint it, or have it done? Something to check for, (that I failed to do-) is make sure there is coverage on the undersides of the car...

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
That looks good! I can't wait to see it complete.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, the car looks great! Did you paint it, or have it done? Something to check for, (that I failed to do-) is make sure there is coverage on the undersides of the car...
No I didn't paint it, but I did help with much of the bodywork which took us about 4 months to complete. A local body shop did the painting and they did a great job, In my opinion. There are a few minor flaws in the paint but I doubt most people would notice them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks good! I can't wait to see it complete.
This weekend the vinyl top and headliner are hopefully going to be installed. I am kind of new here and I don't know if I can post pictures here but I will try to update as well as I can.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The choice of color looks amazing. How long did it take for you to finish it?
Thank You! I like the color as well.
We actually started on the car last November fixing holes in the shock towers, some minor rust in the trunk floor and things like that as well as other minor repairs. We started on the body about 4 months ago working about 2 days a week until we got it ready for paint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts