Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this cougar on Ebay. Girlfriends been wanting one, I have a 69 torino, being built as a street strip car, so we've been looking for something we can drive the heck out of.

Found this 1970 on craigslist, its a base model with the decor interior, 351c 2v, auto, AC. Picked it up for 3100.00 The kid who owned it prior to me cut out and replaced a lot of rust, he replaced the floor pans (shotty job a bit thou) and put on a vinyl roof and new headliner, dynamat throughout the car and new carpet. Also has a new gas tank :)

He seemed to be trying to change it from green to black. I personally like the green and plan on keeping it. My intention is to polish it up, and make it reliable enough to daily drive, and stop any rust I may come across.

I drove it home 60 miles and ran into a nice thunderstorm, car got home safe and purred like a kitten. Wipers worked and AC worked well enough to keep windows from fogging up. I was white knuckle but nothing like the awesome feeling of bonding with a new classic on your first drive.

Immediate on the list is to sell wheels and tires for magnum 500's the 15x10 80's look on the rear has got to go!

However the sequentils work, as do the flip up lights. Brake lights are a hack job though, everything else works really well, engine stubles a bit on takeoff, transmission shifts great. Rear decklid, and bumper have to most rust I can tell.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Not a bad looking ride.....in fact for what you paid a great looking ride...the car looks familiar some one on here might have been the one selling it...
.better keep the rear wheels if you plan on going down the strip with her much better traction...he might not have been switching the interior to black just most of the repo parts are black and he might not have been able to find the right paint...

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you're looking for an original set of magnum 500's I have a set of five I'm looking to sell. They are the painted versions and not the chrome. I also have a set of 15" new Magnum 500's that are chrome with new lugs and valve stems I need to sell. Never mounted and two are still new in the box. If you're interested in either set ... let me know.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting...Yup thats the guy I bought it from. Actually I have found a bit on the kid who sold it to me (found pics of the repairs he did from other forums). He was very honest about the work done and issues with the car, didnt try to "sell it" to me. I appreciate honesty.

Searching JC316 Ive found the car on about 3 forums (hope he doesnt mind!) Just trying to get any back ground info on the car before I bought it.

I have a new rebuilt carb coming for it I think tomorrow. Thiscar has some small issues but has a nice solid platform to start with and since we're building a fun driver...my fast car is my Torino :)

Any info on the cars prior owner to JC316 would be nice. JC316 only had the car for about 6 months before selling it.

-mike

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're looking for an original set of magnum 500's I have a set of five I'm looking to sell. They are the painted versions and not the chrome. I also have a set of 15" new Magnum 500's that are chrome with new lugs and valve stems I need to sell. Never mounted and two are still new in the box. If you're interested in either set ... let me know.
Sending PM! Thx,

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After reading his post makes me wish I asked 2500! ;) I had intended to pay 3000, but I really just kinda fell for the car so I could help myself. Still though makes me a bit nervous reading post's like that lol. My Torino had rust and it was PITA to get fixed so it wouldnt be my first time. He was right though, most of the car is very solid. Torqe boxes look great. The trunk lid and quarters are the worst, behind the driver light is bad too...part of owning an old ford. The cowl Ive looked at but havnt got deep into, but depending on how bad it is I have a complete POR-15 set I intend to use up on it.

Remind you we intend to drive and enjoy this car. If I get rich one day I may strip and paint it! But until then, make it safe and reliable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kid? I am offended lol. Actually not, I get it all the time, but I guarantee you that I am older than you think I am. I usually get mistaken for 16-17 when I am actually 26. I agree that my floor pan welding wasn't top quality, but I got much better by the time the top and rear window came around. It was my first time ever welding with a MIG and it has a good learning curve to it. Don't blame me on the brake lights, I never touched those lol. The previous owner on the title had the car around 2001, he was a manager of an Orielly's and he drove the car and finally gave it to his son, who sold it to the guy that I got it from. Beyond him, I have no idea.

Don't beat yourself up on not offering $2500, I would have turned you down. As it was, I had three potential customers that were downright pissed at me for "selling it out from under them", I did a lot of apologizing in the 15 minutes after you were gone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Kid? I am offended lol. Actually not, I get it all the time, but I guarantee you that I am older than you think I am. I usually get mistaken for 16-17 when I am actually 26. I agree that my floor pan welding wasn't top quality, but I got much better by the time the top and rear window came around. It was my first time ever welding with a MIG and it has a good learning curve to it. Don't blame me on the brake lights, I never touched those lol. The previous owner on the title had the car around 2001, he was a manager of an Orielly's and he drove the car and finally gave it to his son, who sold it to the guy that I got it from. Beyond him, I have no idea.

Don't beat yourself up on not offering $2500, I would have turned you down. As it was, I had three potential customers that were downright pissed at me for "selling it out from under them", I did a lot of apologizing in the 15 minutes after you were gone.
26?? Man your lucky You do look around 20-22. Man im 32 and would give anything to look younger lol. Hey man, Im as happy as can be with the purchase, I feel like I got great deal and thats why I was so persistent on getting a hold of you and grabbing it, its literally the perfect car for what we we're looking for. Lucky you took 3100, cuz I came with 3120 lol the 20 I used for gas. For what I paid, its easily worth the parts and labor you put into it and the value of it.

Your welds are fine by me, its a driver...it just needs welded to the subframe. The top looks great. And I see all the metal you replaced on the lower window area from the underside.

Man, one thing we appreciated so much the fact that you we're 100% honest on everything you did on the car, and what you knew about it and its history. You didnt try to upsell, or hide anything at all. That seems rare these days, and this car has had no surprises, everything is exactly how you explained it!

Well, its in good hands, I live and breath these old cars, and baby them like they are children of mine!

The guy I was supposed to get the carb from today said its a 1.14 venturi, but he has a 2150 that needs a rebuild. Not sure whether or not I should try his 1.14 or wait till I can get a brand new one, or rebuild the 2150.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Get the right carb will run better with out more complications . Also glad it was from a member here because he will know its character and maybe give some insight .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to post a quick update...The car is purring like a kitten now
Blew out the lines all the way to the tank, fuel pump was shot, had sediments in it, so I got a new pump and filters. Ditched the rear plastic filter the PO had on it to keep the fuel lines straight and smooth of any turns or kinks. Replaced ann the rubber parts with new rubber line.

Tore the carb down, this time every piece was tore off and soaked in Barryman can of cleaner. I was also able to solder up the crack in the brass tube.

Hesitation is GONE, you can floor is from a stop and go go go! Drives like a new cat.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trying to fix the stumble. I put on a new fuel pump and blew out all the lines. I also replaced all rubber parts with new fuel line hose.

Night doing all that, car ran great! wasn't fully warm but allowed me to gas it without a stumble! I went to bed happy only to come homethe next day and find the problem came back....bummer. So still fighting the stumble. I have 2 carbs at home now I can use as parts or to test with.

Got the marty report in. Car was originally dark ivy green metallic :) I actually love this color and Im thinking of bringing it back to stock, only with magnum wheels.

Anybody know how rare it is to have a base model cougar with AC and decor package?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts