Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been lurking here, but I have yet to post. I am Jason and as of April, I am the proud owner of a 1970 Mercury cougar. I have owned and modded some newer muscle, but after my last one gave me fits, I decided to go with a classic. My intention is to turn it into my daily driver and I am getting close to that happening. When I bought the car, it needed a touch more work than I had anticipated, but I am not afraid a little work.

I saw it on my local craigslist for $2500. 70 cougar, 351c 2v, 3 speed, front disc brakes. The floor pans were rusted out, brakes didn't work, would barely stay running. After looking it over, finding some rust under the top and in the quarters, I talked the owner down to $2200 and my journey began.

First step was the brakes, which needed to be flushed and new wheel cylinders installed. First time in 10 years that I have done drum brakes. After that, I got it mostly running with some fresh gas. A quick drive showed that I needed tie rod ends for sure. Kinda scary to see the road whipping by too, so floor pans were hot on my to do list. I dodged a bullet and my torque boxes and frame rails were solid. Now, I have touched a welder twice in my life to this point, but I like to do thing myself, so I bought a MIG and went to work. Final result was sturdy, but not pretty, but it's hidden, so I didn't care.

After that, I opened the old paypal account and got some reproduction two piece carpet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And Part 2.

Feeling pretty good, I got to looking at the horrors of a rusted top on here and decided that I had better get the vinyl off and find out how bad it is. Once I stripped it off, I found a hole about the size of a dinner plate in the top, a few pin holes and nearly 3/4 of the rear window channel rusted out. Wire brushed everything till shiny, replaced what I could, used Marine Tex on the rest. My work is that of an amateur, but I feel that I got it all and it's good enough for me.

Followed it up with primer, paint, and a new vinyl top. All of which I did myself, final result looked like this.

Which brings us to where I am today. Rebuilt the carb, put in a new gas tank because the old one kept clogging filters and a headliner install. After this, I am trying to fix a hesitation at low speeds and the A/C. Beyond that, there will be a 5 speed swap and potentially a 4.6L SOHC PI swap, or a 5.0L EFI.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Hello there and wellcome. It looks like you are off to a good start. I like those rims. Just wondering being so deep any problems with tire rub?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Welcome! Looked like the flintstones mobile at first! I'm surprised it was rotted that bad on the floors and not the rest of the frame....(leaking cowl I wonder?) Pretty nice looking otherwise though! Sounds like she's in good hands now.....

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Welcome to the Madness!!! :wave:

A wealth of information here on MC.net.

Don't be shy about asking questions, but please try using the search function :uhoh: first since many questions have been answered in the past. The search function is a little on the cludgy side :klo: , so try variations of search parameters.

It looks like you're off to a good start!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I can guarantee when she's done and you take her down the road, you'll smile from ear to ear as guys get whiplash watching you go by. You will never get the same satisfaction from newer muscle cars.

·
Registered
316 Posts
real nice head start on good looking sheet metal . As said above the looks are great from the car guys .

·
Registered
160 Posts
Make sure those patch panels are welded to the frame!! I don't see any spot welds. There needs to be some spot welds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure those patch panels are welded to the frame!! I don't see any spot welds. There needs to be some spot welds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are welded on there. Someone pointed that out to me and I went back and fixed it, just no pics. Also have the floors insulated now. Getting annoyed by the moderator approved posts here, I have a ton more that I have done, but it refuses to let me post it. Been trying to post it for the last 24 hours. Hate places that require mod approval for posts, then don't have any active mods. I get that it keeps spam down, but it's freaking annoying for legit users.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
They are welded on there. Someone pointed that out to me and I went back and fixed it, just no pics. Also have the floors insulated now. Getting annoyed by the moderator approved posts here, I have a ton more that I have done, but it refuses to let me post it. Been trying to post it for the last 24 hours. Hate places that require mod approval for posts, then don't have any active mods. I get that it keeps spam down, but it's freaking annoying for legit users.
My apologies Jason, although I looked at your thread yesterday, somehow I missed the second post needing approval. You should be good now.

Welcome.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My apologies Jason, although I looked at your thread yesterday, somehow I missed the second post needing approval. You should be good now.

Welcome.

Regards,

Bob
Thanks! Sorry for all of the additional versions that I tried to post, I thought it was the level of pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts