Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here was the last pull on a Dyno Jet. Made 358rw/Tq at 3900 rpm, and 336rwhp at 6100rpm. The tuner said that brand is usually low by 20-30hp/tq when he compared it to a chassis dyno he uses as well. Not bad.

Dyno pull: https://youtu.be/Ws25zWnSGms

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It runs great! No surging idles, don't have to feather the gas at lights, and it hooks straight as can be. And the 5 speed makes highway driving more enjoyable. I wanted a good daily driver tune so I can enjoy it. I wasn't overly concerned with just power or an ET. Timing is only set at 30° as well. All in all I'm happy with my tune.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Cool man, congrats!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Another cat prowling on the Savannah.....getting scarey out there! ;>P Sounds good an healthy.......congrats!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
awesome! nice car

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Randall Williams (1).jpg IMG_20150605_163738.jpg

Here's the 2nd dyno sheet, the last one was corrupt. The HP is lower here BC of the cheap air intake system I had on for mach up. The extra 30hp came from my big 3 ½" custom cold air intake we assembled with a big JLT air filter. Will get those pictures up soon. In the picture you can see the smaller 3" accordion style plastic tubing restricting airflow. But man that thing opened up once we changed it out.

·
Registered
708 Posts
After looking at your picture, I'm concerned about hood clearance with the '96 Explorer motor I just picked up. Does anybody know if the stock upper and lower '96 Explorer intakes will cause hood clearance problems on a '67/'68?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You won't have a problem. I used a 1" phenolic space in between the upper and lower intake and that adds an extra gasket as well. With stock mounts you'll be good. I could have bought expensive motor mounts that lowered my engine enough to accomadate the spacer but the hood scoop was a better choice because I get cool air running into my engine better now.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think you could go to an intake that came out of an EFI car rather than a truck and you would get better clearance that way. The truck ones are pretty tall......I don't know how much performance you would loose going that route though?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i am using a 94-95 cobra intake on my car with a 1 inch spacer. it clears the hood on my 69 cat

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
you could also use a 91-93 tbird cougar ho intake or a stock 94-95 gt mustang intake .these are the lowest profile efi 5.0 intakes ever made.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMG_20150611_073327249.jpg Here's my custom CAI.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
she might be pulling in a lot of hot air right there though? I have seen guys poke them through into the wheel well - there scads of space in there....just a thought.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't driven her much since I put it in on account its been 115°F here. So it'll be hard to get a good reading on my IR thermostat. But, I was planning to go through there, was just waiting on my CAI splash shield to get here.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Darn it is hot down there .. I think I would rather have snow ... I can always put more cloths on .... You can only take so many off ....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts