Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the story. I am an easy going guy. I am doing a 67 cougar restoration. I am blessed with a nice house, but like every other guy, I am not rich. I buy my parts piece by piece. So I bought door hinges (the set) from Mustangs Unlimited four months ago. So, now I am at the point where I am aligning the body and installing parts. I painted the hinges and installed them...the driver's side worked fine. The passenger side would pop. I look down and see that the bar/gear/hole were hitting each other and making the noise. So, I tracked down my reciept and called today....I was told they offer a 1 month part warrenty. So they could do nothing for me! Anybody have any insights or thoughts?!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have had good luck with them on many orders, talk to them, work with them, worst case get a store credit they want your business!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Very surprised...I buy alot of stuff from them(when I cant get it from WCCC) never a problem...After a restoration i box up what i dont use and get credit...If something is bad like the starter relays just send out new....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I bought aftermarket vent windows and they came pitted already! So, they accepted them. But, it is messed up you can't get store credit for this. I tried to work with this guy, he wouldn't budge.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
On Chinese parts like those we will not take them back regardless! Here is our take on those two parts... Needless to say nobody ever buys them from us, LOL!

Here is the first feedback we got after the customer installed these frames...

Repop hell!
The repop vent frames look very nice, but the pieces don't fit. The vent/wing weatherstrip does not fit into the corner. The long run weatherstrip has issues too. The screw hole at the top is way off & good luck getting that little tiny screw to take hold. Then the vent window itself won't align to the frame causing a bind at the top. Oh don't forget the stainless channel.. It won't fit well and the bracket at the bottom that holds the spring & pivot assembly... Make sure you elongate the holes A LOT.. So after 1.5 hours restoring on one vent assembly all I can tell you is DON'T open the vent window!!! Cougar Bill

Most times you do not need new hinges but rather new bushings and pins. If your hinges are such that the holes are "hogged out" and no longer seat the bushing firmly then you will need to buy one of our good used hinges that come with new bushings and pin. These overseas hinges are not known for fitting well, we cannot recommend them and we do not accept returns or exchanges on them.
Replaces Ford part # C9ZZ-6522811-A.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Things like these happen with some parts. Not for nothing (and not nearly as much a problem), but on the Ken Harrison enterprises door speakers (any of them) the holes that you screw the assembly to the door are off a fair amount. On the first one I thought maybe it was just where the factory holes ended up. On the second one I could see a pattern developing. You have to either drill new holes or risk cracking the plastic. The things don't want to go flush either, the rivets on the back seem to encroach somewhat on the oval opening on the door. If I had to do it again, I would have probably made my own adapters.

·
Registered
36 Posts
After today, I've had it with MU. Today, I got the box with the 3 week old back ordered door and ignition lock set. Wrong, it contains a single trunk lock (but it also has the sticker for the lock set on the bag). At least it was some kind of lock. Several months ago, I ordered a hood bumper set for my '73 Cougar and instead got '68 Mustang door parts. I should have known better after the first time that I had a serious problem with an order from MU. I had ordered a 2100 carburetor -- the box was correct but it actually contained a Rochester carburetor. When I called to say that I got the right box, but wrong item, the clerk insisted that I was wrong and that the carburetor would fit.

A very simple business rule that I adopted many years ago; once is a mistake, twice is a pattern, but after the third time, we will not need to talk anymore. This evening when I explained to the Manager my disappointment and that this was not the first problem with a MU order, he blew me off. I then asked how many order mistakes that MU should be allowed. He sputtered said it was a warehouse problem. I told him to send me a check for my existing store credit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree. Mustangs Unlimited's customer service should start with ,F you very much what are you bothering me with now. It might ship soon.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I have never had a problem with MU, ever, and I have ordered from them a lot. Even was able to return for credit a shackle bushing set I discovered WAY after the fact that I bought the wrong ones. For a place that I assume does huge volume, I have found them to be surprisingly good.

I like NPD maybe a little more, but MU is "just fine" in my book as well.

So there you have it, point, counterpoint.

There is a moral to the story, if you don't know what to buy and what not to buy from a Mustang vendor, you shouldn't be buying from them. One of the great things about WCCC is that they go out of their way to tell you what to buy and what not to buy, even if what not to buy is one of the parts they sell!

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well,
A few years ago I bought a repo 71-3 Mustang trunk lid from them. Looked good and fit good, then I painted it and the rest of the car, put the new trunk rubber in and we all know doors and trunks are hard closing till they squish. Well using the palm of my hands on the round edge to shut the lid, the metal was so cheep and thin that there was several dints from me shutting the trunk lid. Called MU and they said I must have done something wrong, they have had no complaints. They said sorry! So I now stick with NPD, never a mix up or any problems! I make a call and 2 days later the parts are here!
I ordered a ""exact" type rotors for my Boss a while back, and a standard cheep solid rotors showed up. I called them and said these were suppose to be the 2 piece rotor and hub design, the guy said sorry for the problem, go ahead and keep those and ill send out a new correct set now and no charge! I couldn't believe it. So for Mustang parts I would say NPD!
Chris AZ P.S it is going to be 80* today! :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've dealt with them once for a new throttle cable for my 69. When it arrived it was too long and too rigid and made my car idle fast and move when put in gear. I ended up buying a used cable from a member here. I now will only deal with WCCC, NPD, and Ken's Cougars (even though Ken can have a nasty attitude at times) his parts are genuine Cougar.

·
Registered
735 Posts
NPD is the shnizzz. "Chris AZ P.S it is going to be 80* today"! :). It was 82 yesterday and Buster the tortoise loves it!!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
They way I look at it is that if it's worth putting on your car, Don Rush sells it. If it's junk, Don tells you it's junk. Spending money at Don's or John Baumann's keeps the money in the Cougar world. Don and John are the ones who get us the Cougar repo stuff that the Mustang guys are not interested in spending money and time on. Using MU or NPD sends the money into the Mustang world. Let's spend our money with the guys who support the Cougar.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
If you're throwing stuff together and understand quality may be an issue, MU is your guy.
Personally, I'll deal with Don Rush for Cougar parts from now on.
Aside from being a regular contributor on this forum, he sells a quality line of parts.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
They way I look at it is that if it's worth putting on your car, Don Rush sells it. If it's junk, Don tells you it's junk. Spending money at Don's or John Baumann's keeps the money in the Cougar world. Don and John are the ones who get us the Cougar repo stuff that the Mustang guys are not interested in spending money and time on. Using MU or NPD sends the money into the Mustang world. Let's spend our money with the guys who support the Cougar.
There is a very strong counterpoint to this but I am not going there.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
If it were not for MU, I am not sure we could have reproduced as many parts as we have in the last four years. They AGGRESSIVELY purchase almost every reproduction part we come out with. I find that if you call Kevin at MU you will get a pretty knowledgeable guy for Cougar related items and if he is unsure about whether a part will fit he is not shy about handing out our phone number. You cannot blame MU and others for keeping most of the new product dollars flowing towards the Mustang, it just makes financial sense... MU did produce at least one FANTASTIC Cougar part in recent years! I appreciate the comments I often get that go something like "Yes I know I can get it a buck cheaper through XYZ but the extra service WCCC gives makes it a better value for me". Thanks for noticing! We also appreciate the feedback we get on our site, Bob for one has been great at pointing out things on our site that are erroneous, if something does not work, look or fit like it should we want to know!

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I would never have told a customer that it was a warehouse problem. I would have taken a number, marched over to the warehouse and verify the story. Then I would make it right for the customer with express shipping at no cost. Then again, if you don't care about having repeat customers, by all means keep blowing them off.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i 2nd this!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts