Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The console(No Clock) looks wrong as well as shifter handle. You would think for $125K they would make those right. Also the add states its 1 of 1 with am/fm stereo radio.Thats funny because my marti report say my car has am/fm too. Wonder what else ?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have seen this car up close in person. While it is nice, it is an older restoration. The paint is showing it age, interior could use a good detailing.

They must have raised the price since the B-J auction. When I asked about it last year they said 100 I believe.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Notice it has an XR7 dash, the seat headrests look like 69's, a standard console with an XR7 pad, an early 427 intake manifold (note breather location), and an XR7-G valance with fog lights, just to name a few items. The vin is 8F91W - a standard. It looks like a decent car but if they want top dollar they should at least have everything from the correct year and model.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
It is even impossible to tell from their description what the history is on the motor, the tranny, and the rear end. The underside might never have been restored. Not enough pics or description to assess ANYTHING about this car other than the fact that it is incorrect, described with some shady details (ie only xxxxxx miles showing on the odometer, wtf does that mean?) and pics from too far away and from such angles that don't even say "restored" or not in the dash bezel chrome, door panels, anodized aluminum, Front Grille, rear taillight bezels..a guy could go on and on.

Oh, and what the heck is that "bar" going across the rear taillamp bezels?

Really impossible to tell much about the condition of the car without going to CT to see it. They could have started with a couple dozen or forty PICTURES. The whole standard with XR-7 parts is also a huge foopah, if you ask me. They are just working off of their "reputation" or something, I guess?? Just a poor effort selling by an organization whose business is to sell..

Either they are lazy or just not that pressed to sell this thing. Perhaps the one in charge of listing it is doing it under orders that he just doesn't want to follow? ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Is everything on the bottom just dirty or painted black? or both? Can't see how it would be dirty since it's almost certainly a trailer queen.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Not knocking the car, but I noticed in the ad that they say the mileage on the dash is 69,079. Since it's a standard GT-E with an XR-7 dash, I wonder what the mileage was on the original dash gauge? John

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed in the ad that they say the mileage on the dash is 69,079. Since it's a standard GT-E with an XR-7 dash, I wonder what the mileage was on the original dash gauge? John
Definitely misleading, they should note all the different changes that are not original to the car, especially for that kind of money.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I guess this tells you why they screw up when a Cougar guy tries to buy parts from them.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Is everything on the bottom just dirty or painted black? or both? Can't see how it would be dirty since it's almost certainly a trailer queen.
I dont' think it's a trailer Queen in the least. That is undercoating, worn and bent steel, and years of dirt and grease coated parts and sheetmetal.

Not to get on a hight horse or anything, but again, the car hasn't been described in the least. Furthermore, to sell a car for the kind of money they are talkin', they need it restored to be about perfect. Seat belts with date codes, original glass all around with Carlite logo, all rechromed or originally perfect Chrome, polished stainless everywhere, restored front grilles, emblems all NOS or perfect rechromes..springs and coils clean, all wires and vacuum hoses marked, all over marked with paint marks, carb, rear end, and engine tags..concours like. Original-like. Is that all done? Hmm..we don't have any idea, but I suspect not and see a lot of crud on the underside (at least frame and front suspension components, not much else visible!)

If I'd done all that or it was all perfect or even there, I'd sure as heck be advertizing it!

I'm just sayin'

·
Registered
59 Posts
What a strange add? Are they seriously asking that much for such a thrown together car? The pictures are even from different cars- notice that in one of the photo's showing the front undercarriage that the front valance is red but in the other pictures it has the silver color on the incorrect g front valance. THERE DREAMING!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The console(No Clock) looks wrong as well as shifter handle. You would think for $125K they would make those right. Also the add states its 1 of 1 with am/fm stereo radio.Thats funny because my marti report say my car has am/fm too. Wonder what else ?
The ad states it's 1 of 1, but the Marti report says that of the 35 Standard GT-E Cardinal red cars, four had black standard bucket seats and of those 4, only 1 had the AM/FM

·
Registered
349 Posts
I dont' think it's a trailer Queen in the least. That is undercoating, worn and bent steel, and years of dirt and grease coated parts and sheetmetal.

Not to get on a high horse or anything, but again, the car hasn't been described in the least. Furthermore, to sell a car for the kind of money they are talkin', they need it restored to be about perfect. Seat belts with date codes, original glass all around with Carlite logo, all rechromed or originally perfect Chrome, polished stainless everywhere, restored front grilles, emblems all NOS or perfect rechromes..springs and coils clean, all wires and vacuum hoses marked, all over marked with paint marks, carb, rear end, and engine tags..concours like. Original-like. Is that all done? Hmm..we don't have any idea, but I suspect not and see a lot of crud on the underside (at least frame and front suspension components, not much else visible!)

If I'd done all that or it was all perfect or even there, I'd sure as heck be advertising it!

I'm just sayin'
Geez, what a critic. And what kind of experience do YOU have selling $165,000 GT-E's? I realize that many people are envious of GT-E owners, so all I can say is, "Get over it, Buddy".

Absolutely! They should've had the proper Standard/Decor/XR7/G Interior Console Clock installed. However, the G-style shifter handle was included in the Tilt-Away delete option, see below.

The ad states it's 1 of 1, but the Marti report says that of the 35 Standard GT-E Cardinal red cars, four had black standard bucket seats and of those 4, only 1 had the AM/FM
I don't understand your skepticism, since this is truly a 1 of 1 GT-E. How many restored GT-E's do you know of that have the following unique unrecorded options?
-Special Order Standard interior with Decor seats front and rear
-Special Order Standard interior with XR7 door panels/rear quarter panels
-Special Order Standard interior with XR7 dash panel and gauges
-Special Order Standard A/C console with A/C delete, with XR7 top pad
-Special Order Tilt Steering Wheel with Tilt-Away delete

"In 1967 the GT-E won Motor Trend's Car of the year award."
Really?
Yes, the 67 GT-E was quite unique back in those days. Not many people were aware of this offering. I'm surprised that anyone questions Mustangs Unlimited knowledge and expertise on this subject. Go figure.

Everything there is correct. It's one of the lost XR7-S's. That explains the XR7 dash on a standard car and the taillight bar that mmmeat asked about.
Again, you people are just misinformed. The XR7-S would have the proper XR7-S emblem on the passenger side dash panel. The tail light bar is just another option that Kevin Marti was somehow unaware of. Not sure how he manages to stay in business.

Hope I've cleared up all the misconceptions regarding this beautifully restored GT-E that Mustangs Unlimited is offering. Someone might just end up with a very unique Cougar!

·
11,000 Posts
They need to start a drug testing program at MU.

What a strange add? Are they seriously asking that much for such a thrown together car? The pictures are even from different cars- notice that in one of the photo's showing the front undercarriage that the front valance is red but in the other pictures it has the silver color on the incorrect g front valance. THERE DREAMING!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts