Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a 67 Mustang, now I have a 68 Cougar in great condition. The only thing I'm missing is the passenger side rear wheel well bright trim. I've found some ok ones and a NOS one for almost $200.00 (no thanks) A comparable 67/68 repro one is about $25.00!!! Could I make one work with a little modification? Also, does anyone have a list of things that are the same or (pretty close but will fit) for comparable year Cougar/Mustangs

Example: even though my interior is very good, if I had torn and worn bucket seats, could I use 67/68 Mustang repro seats to replace them? I know it's not correct but it would be better than cloth seat covers or watching ebay everyday for 2 years in the hope that some overpriced original stuff will appear.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wondered this myself

I was particular interested in the seat covers myself.

·
Registered
206 Posts
In the past I would order mustang and cougar catalogs from vendors who had them for both cars. Cross reference the part numbers between the catalogs and you'll be surprised at how many parts are under the same number. Funny thing is that it seemed the cougar stuff ran 20% higher than the same part coming out of a mustang catalog. It is definitely a "buyer beware" market out there. I also remember seeing a book that cross referenced factory Ford/Mercury parts for car collectors and junk yards. However, it has been a long time since I've heard/seen of it...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Do a search, but I remember someone said the 69 mustang wheel well trim would fit the 68 Cougar. the holes will line up but you need to trim a bit off one end.

·
Registered
433 Posts
so how bout' the seat covers. I have noticed mustang covers to be cheaper.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
you sure Calcat??? i thought it was the 71-73 Stang ones? yeah the holes will line up, but youll have like an inch hanging off the back end. trim it and you are set. maybe im wrong. hell hit the junks and try both.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, the seat covers will fit just fine as long as you order the right ones for the right year. The seat frames and foam packs are all identical between the Mustang and the Cougar. Of course the upholstry is a different pattern between the cars but if it's not a concours then yes, it will fit fine.
There are a huge amount of parts that interchange between the two cars for the same respective years. You do have to be a little careful though on trim and body parts. The carpet will intechange but the headliner wont. Windshields are the same but back glass is not. Drivetrain parts are generaly interchangable, but the Cougar driveline is longer. You get the picture.
The best thing to do is get with a mustang buddy and look at the parts and MEASURE.......... *G*.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
wheel well trim

I'm missing the same rear passenger side wheel trim...well it's 3/4 there. Looking for new set myself. I heard that paying $800 a set is not uncommon. Give me a break!:mad:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
WHHOOOOPS!! sorry that i forgot Judy... but i still have the mouldings from that 73. they have been sitting in my trunk for the longest time. here are some pics of them. decent driver pieces, but a couple small dents in them.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
one of the pair

Attachments

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Steve, Thought, you changed your mind about selling them to me. Email me: [email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts