Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Getting the back end of my 68 cleaned up, new tail panel, mini-tub rear fenderwells and new trunk drop off's (my fuel tank mounting flange is rusted through where the rear most "across" portion meets the two side portions).

So finally my question, does anyone know if Mustang trunk drop off's are interchangeable with the Cougar ? Mustang pieces are easier to source and were cheaper so my body guy thought it was worth a try to see, we received the Mustang drop-off's today and they seem to be significantly shorter, 2 inches or more shorter than my Cougar although a bit hard to measure on my Cougar with all the seam sealer there.

Thanks,

David

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yes, they can be used, but the depressions go the opposite way and as you've noted, they are short. I butt welded in pieces to make up the difference whan I replaced mine and turned them around (L/R) so the depressions faced the right way. The finished product is pretty much indistinguishable from OEM. See my ECI thread for details (you'll have to search a bit since the thread is quite long).

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the input, can you tell me how to find your ECI thread though ?, my apologies.

Thanks again,

David

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bob, amazing work documented so well in your photo-album, the photo's of the drop-off's were especially helpful. I bit the bullet though and returned the Mustang pieces and ordered correct (hopefully anyway) trunk floor and drop off pieces from WCCC, just waiting for them to show up before she's off to the body shop in early December, getting the work done might be my Christmas present ! Hopefully will have her back by early January and then it's an adjustable ride height coil-over suspension for the front, new brake and fuel lines, some wiring and cross my fingers will hopefully fire up the 347 Mexican block stroker in spring, it's been several years now, definitely looking forward to driving it.

Thanks again,

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts