Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the "articulated strut rod", are the upper and lower control arms, etc. the same, for 67-70 model cars?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
The 1967 articulated strut rods have a different hole pattern on the lower control arms. You need to verify that the lower control arms can be used with stock 1967 strut rods. Starting in 1968 Cougars and Mustangs had strut rods shaped roughly like a golf club.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
woodsnake, here is a picture of original 67 and 68 lower control arms. The one on the left is a 67. Like CougarCJ said they are both the same except for the hole pattern. So you could buy a 67 mustang or a 68 Mustang/ Cougar and drill two more holes. Or use 68 strut rods on your 67 lower control arms. As you see in the picture the 67 cougar strut mounts diagonally. The backing plate has enough room for the extra holes. The reason the 67 lower control arms have four holes is because the oposite side mounts on the oposite diagonal holes.

MVC-103S.JPG

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, as long as I have the same "pair" of either 7 or 8 LCA and strut rods, there won't be any issues? I think that is the root of the question I am asking. I have several bits of front end laying around, and I just want to get as much usage out of it all as I can, as I am starting to sell off what I don't need. I wish there was somebody closer to me that needed the stuff I have, I think it will all go pretty cheap.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
So, as long as I have the same "pair" of either 7 or 8 LCA and strut rods, there won't be any issues? I think that is the root of the question I am asking. I have several bits of front end laying around, and I just want to get as much usage out of it all as I can, as I am starting to sell off what I don't need. I wish there was somebody closer to me that needed the stuff I have, I think it will all go pretty cheap.
Did you look at the picture? What exactly do you want to do? Do you want to change over to 68 struts?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
So where is the added in the Cougar chassis w/b?
The Cougar chassis is different from a Mustang from the rear spring front mounting bolt back.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked my "new" LCA's, they are the 68 style already hurray!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just checked my 'new' control arms are in fact the 68 style already, hurray!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts