Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have installed the new SS hard lines and the 4 wheel disc Cobra brake swap from Mustang Steve but I have run into a snag. :wall:

I bought and installed a Modern Driveline hydraulic clutch kit and now I cannot install my MBM (67 Mustang/Cougar) brake booster and universal disc/disc master cylinder because the booster is just a little too wide so it will not fit because of the clutch master cylinder now mounted on the firewall.

So now I have re-installed my original Bendix booster as the overall diameter is just that little bit smaller that it will mount perfectly next to the clutch master but now I cannot use my universal brake master cylinder because it wont fit between the booster and shock tower.

I need to now find a disc/disc master cylinder that is shorter to fit like the original 67 master was.

Anyone run into this or has installed the Cobra Swap 4 wheel disc kit as I need an idea for a replacement master cylinder???

Thanks for whatever help you can give.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah I was wondering if Wilwood makes one that would fit....you would think so anyway...? Does Mustang Steve offer any advice on it..?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
See my post on the other site for one solution.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mustang Steve recommends a master from a 2000 Mustang V6. It is the type with a smaller shaft and a plastic reservoir on top. I takes considerably less space and has less bulk down low. Other than that he says it should be a one inch bore to get the right pedal feel. If you don't think that would work with your gear, ask on his forum FYIFord.com. He has been pretty cool about answering questions fast.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys and sorry Woodsnake as I didn't take any pics before I pulled it all back out.

I got the same answer originally from Steve on the 2000 Mustang V6 master but doesn't the reservoir sit on a downwards angle as once mounted on the Cougars flat firewall so all the fluid would sit too the front??

Thanks Bob for the idea on the other site. That is definitely an option and to drill the hole between the front and rear reservoir on the new/original style masters as it looks like a good solution for rear fluid drop on pad wear.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I am not sure that is an issue. I will defer to the brake experts. Fill it on jack stands!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL!! Thanks Dan for the idea but doesn't quite make me confident enough yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I swapped the Cobra PBR front and rear discs on my 70' that had factory power front disc brakes. I ended up using a factory disc brake master cylinder....there just isn't any room between the shock tower and MC with a booster installed. Make sure it is a 1" bore. My brakes came from Street or Track.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts