Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has had any experience with replacing the rear rails on a Cougar with mustang rails. I can't bring myself to hack up yet another Cougar just because they don't make the rails, but they do make rails for the mustang. They are different but they can be modified to fit. The curvature of the rail upwards behind the torque box is slightly different, hence the difference in total length. I'm going to tackle this but I thought i'd check and see if anyone has done it previously that might have some constructive advice.
Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got some rear rails for sale. If you're interested.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
To my knowledge, the only difference is the size of the bushed holes for the shackle bushings. You could in fact change this part of the new rail over I would think. Or, use two different sized rubbers on the original type shackles. You might call Tom at KTL restorations, he would know for sure. If you do, tell him ECI Bob sent you.

Regards,

Bob

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
The Mustnag and Cougar rear frame rails are NOTHING alike. The Cougar has a longer rear leaf spring (rear torque box eye to rear shackle eye), the trunk floor is longer, the curve after the torque box is wrong... Look at the two chassis manuals that give all of the pertinent dimensions. In short - DON'T DO IT!!! Best to find a donor Cat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I made a template of the profile of the cougar rail and you would be surprised at how similar they are. Bob, you are right, the bushing size is different but a mustang shackle bushing on the upper will work just as well. The front section between the torque box and the start of the curve upwards requires 3 inches added and 2 & 1/2 inches added to the rear section before the rail angles inwards. It's a little more complicated with the convertible due to the additional inner bracing but not scary. And best of all, i'll have nice fresh solid rails without hacking up another Cougar. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any chance you still have your frame rail template? I'd be interested in copying it as a tool to repair my somewhat bent kitty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd love to see that myself!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I still have a set of rear frame rails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I finally got around to logging on and giving an update. My advice in short is, unless you have a rotisserie, are an accomplished welder and a good fabricator, you may find it a bit daunting as it is a lot of work. It's very do-able, and it does save a Cougar from being cut up, but many enthusiasts are only hobbyists at best. I am a licensed body technician and even I found it very labour intensive. There are subtle differences to the rails in addition what is mentioned above and all those differences need to be taken into account, since it is not only important to have the strength, but they need to be able to fold up properly if you ever get hit from behind. My rails are nice and solid,look great and it's nice to know they are all fresh metal, but i'm of mixed opinions about whether it was worth the effort.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I wondered that....looks like you shoulda took rodbender up on those! Good to know if I find one rotten what I'd be in for though...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts