Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an offer on a set of used Mustang leaf springs. I was about to change anyway, the old ones are in a terrible condition, so...

Q #1. Are they at all compatible to my 68 XR7 ? Do they fit ?

Q #2. Should I then use new rubber bushings or the new poly..something ? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Pelle,

A #1: No, they're not. Cougar leafs have a smaller eye at the rear end (don't know about the front) and I believe cougar springs are longer.

A #2: That's your choice I guess. I myself have no experience with them yet (guess I've got the rubber ones).

Good luck on the work. I changed the shackles myself, but there's not very much room sideways for the bolts to line up with the bushings. The front end will be worse I guess (for what I've seen of it...).

Cheers,
Matthijs

·
Registered
519 Posts
A. #1. Mustangs springs won't work on your Cougar, they are 3 inches to short.

A #2. I'd recommend poly bushing over rubber, however be prepared for the job to take longer due to the tight fit of poly.

Note: search the forum for "leaf springs" and polyurethane" to read the previously discussed information. Quite a bit of this info has been covered and is really helpful. :)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
No, the rear leaf springs will not fit. They are shorter on a Mustang.

The rubber bushings were fine for 20-30+ years. I've heard that poly sometimes squeak and are harsher........not sure if that's true or not. I went with rubber on the front end rebuild.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts