Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
No not yet. But it should be in the near future for me as soon as I find the car to do it to. Check out www.flosc.net/rcmotorsports/.com

I'm still contemplating on doing most of it myself or just getting the whole kit. Will definatly be a nice upgrade over the micky mouse stock front suspension and doing away with the shock towers sure improves things under hood.

If you have any welding skills at all the kit should be a piece o cake to put in and if your stock front suspension is shot the cost of the ugrade shouldnt put you in the poor house. I didnt know Heits made a setup directly for the unibody fords like Rc motorsports dose. Just dont forget I would think it would be eaiser to install with the motor out and that your front sump oil pan wont work, because the mII front crossmember requires a double hump pan. mm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heidt's looks like it has new brakes,steering, springs ,rack and pinion steering for around 2,000. My cougar is a shell and is the right time to do such a mod.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I think the RC kit is a better deal when looking at the big picture as theres comes with everything. That kit on the link dosent include the sway bar assy and the bottom steering column bearing adapter and steering u joints and shaft, ss brake hoses and the Rc kit comes with the 11" brakes to begin with and your choice of a new manual rack of a rebuilt power one.

For 2k its all there to begin with. But I may do my own as I have some parts availabe. I just need some measurements to build my own crossmember. If I build my own I may go coil overs. Also I think both of these kits use the 79-93 Mustang-Fairmont style rack there not mustang II racks. I used one of the Fairmont racks on a Hobby stock dirt car and it worked great. Its sure tougher than those $600 Sweet racks.

Did you know that the pinto-mustang II spindles use a 75-80 Granada rotor as a straight bolt on? Thats right they use the same wheel brgs and all.

My dirt Modifieds used the same set up and there tough as all get out. I walled my car at Springfield and tore the bottom control arm mount almost plum off the frame and it didnt hurt that mustang II spindle at all.

Like I said my next project car will for sure have this style front suspension under it. No offense to anyone but the stock unibody suspension and p/s setup is NOT in my future. Its the only thing I think ford really screwed up on when they built them.mm

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Right you are Logan. Belive it or not the link I provided came from the front cover of there catalog that I have in front of me. Go figure. Guess I should have tried it myself. mm

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
These are good looking systems. The cost is not that great when viewed from the stand point of what it takes to rebuild an existing front suspension.

It seems to me would best done with engine and trans removed. The shock towers removed would leave plenty of room for 460 or whatever.

The wheels are turning.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have started the installation of the kit from http://www.rcmotorsports.net/ . The cutting and welding is done and was simple. I am holding off on the assembly till I paint the parts. Got side track and went into painting the underside and the inside of the car. I am hoping to edge all the doors and big body parts in the next two weeks. At the same time paint the parts for the front end. then assembly of the car will began.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts