Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People put Mustang hoods on cougars because:

They really think they look cool

They don't know what a Cougar hood scoop looks like.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think a 429 BOSS hood scoop is forgivable with a 429 or 460 under the hood with bigger then performer intake.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are still FUGLY! I'd save another weeks worth of allowance, and then get something that looks good!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
No scoop at all looks just fine I think.....just don't put on a snorkel!! Eeeeyuck!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow, you guys are so much nicer about it than me! I think the 67 mustang hood scoop looks like donkey on a cougar. Flat out, ugly, or, more accurately FUGLY.

Case in point:
The guy that built this car has a serious case of GM envy...I Like almost everything about this car, except for th GM wiring stuff, and thehood scoop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-mercury-cougar-xr7-4speed-/330717339863?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4d004a20d7#v4-43
Haha I actually really like that cougar with the 69 hood scoop. And the stripes are actually pretty cool too. Almost like the mustang boss stripes.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Our classic cats look fantastic without scoops and spoilers. That is why 90% plus (dunno actual #'s) were made that way.

The cheapo stick on type stuff that was used on all the muscle cars is all pretty silly if you really think about it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree they do look pretty sweet the way they are. But damn do they look good with a scoop too!
and 24'' spinners and a fish tank in the back seat hahaha.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
I agree they do look pretty sweet the way they are. But damn do they look good with a scoop too!
and 24'' spinners and a fish tank in the back seat hahaha.
depends on the fish tank - the curved ones fit in well but those period ones with the exposed painted alloy frame just don't do it for me

·
Registered
173 Posts
They are still FUGLY! I'd save another weeks worth of allowance, and then get something that looks good!
Hey Woodsnake. Just curious what style hood scoop you would choose or have already chose?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have the Eliminator style on my 69, and my 68 has an eliminator rear spoiler (waiting to get installed) GTE molded in glass scoop, as it is a glass hood. For my 67, I am using the 69 also, going for the 68 1/2 CJ look...But I use cougar parts on the cougars. Mustang parts are great on a mustang.
Certainly the owners can do what ever they like with their own car. In the example of the one on Ebay, I get the feeling that guy is almost embarassed by Ford style stuff. I guess I'm kind of a purist in that aspect?
I get offended at yvehc powered 32 Fords as well....(seriously, I feel offended and insulted when I see GM power plants in ANY Ford chassis)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah thats my first choice for my 67. But still open to different styles. I don't want to put one on and decide I like a different one more after paint.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Here is a good example. A 68 without

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 bgColor=#000000><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE class=blockrow border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=center>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

A 68 with

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 bgColor=#000000><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE class=blockrow border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=center>

Kind of changes the looks alittle.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Personally I like the look without. specially a 68! The 69's I think look good with? However the headlights and sidelights on the 68 really work for me. I actually prefer the 68 XR7 over an eliminator or GTE just because of the front lights and the clean look. Not nocking anyone by any means, just my personal likes. And I really am liking mine :)

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
I like the look without too, but with the 67

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 bgColor=#000000><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE class=blockrow border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=center></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Certainly, a clean cat is a sexy cat...(Reall, did I just say that?):angelg:
And my 67 will probably stay sans scoop and spoiler. (I am going to get extra sheet metal for the 67 , so I can change my mind again.)
The 68 and 69 will have the scoop and spoiler, as they are more go fast cats.
I just think, that Cougars should have cougar parts. Has anybody ever seen the MOPAR dual hood scoop on anything else? No. Because it evokes that brand name.
I have even thought about a short MOPAR "samuari sword" shifter handle for one of my cars, but again, that is a MOPAR thing..
Certainly, the owners can do what they like with their own property, I just wanted to b*tch about it...PLus that GM wiring on the Cougar in the E-bay link. Dude, just do another camaro if you are that hot on how much better GM stuff is...

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i am going to run the mustang/torino scj scoop on my 69, i like it , it adds to the car

1 - 20 of 35 Posts