Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem to figure out. I am doing the mustang steve brake swap and thought I had the brake lines figured out. The trick is I want to avoid reflaring and replumbing. I want to use the existing fitting, which is 3/8 - 24. I purchased a russell brake hose set for the Mustang GT brakes and that is where it got complicated. I thought I would be able to find an adapter...Here is what I have learned:

The russell brake hose has a "metric 10 x 1.0 bevel flare". So, I would need a female 3/8 - 24 inverted flare to a male metric 10 x 1.0 bevel flare. I can't seem to find such a thing. I called Russell and they said they could only accomplish this with 3 adapters. Then the tech told me that I would be better off getting a 67 mustang kit for a disc brake swap. The GT brake caliper is a banjo bolt setup so stock 67 mustang disc brake hoses won't work either. He recommended me to ssbc to see if they have a hose that fits the bill.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
HUH - so they don't offer anything in SAE sizes then? Whoda think it..? Seems like the obvious choice I would think! Well, the caliper you got from steve needs the banjo fitting though? It's not to tough to replumb standard flare fittings - I don't know about those dumb bubble fittings though? I've never seen SAE to Metric blocks/adpators - but you might talk to a place that makes hydraulic lines and see what they can do for you? It might require ditching the Russel lines - try calling NAPA and see if they do it - I have gotten some odd stuff from those guys before....good luck. Let us know what works!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Okay Dan,

I went back to buyfordracing.com where I bought a pair of Goodridge SS braided and PTFE sheathed hoses for 96-04 'stang ($39 for the pair, smoking deal) and apparently they no longer have them. No matter, on the frame brackets I used (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL60029/) I had to file the brackets hose end round openings into hex's to fit the Goodridge hoses anyway (good and bad, read on). These 'stang hoses also have a 3/8" female thread on one, and a 7/16" on the other, as a result I had to change one flare nut and re-double flare that sides hard line in order to use them. Also noteworthy is that I opened up the larger of the two mounting holes in the brackets to accept one of the original 5/16" bolts for mounting to the body. The built in "washer" of the bolt hit the corner of the bracket a bit but it worked. If you go this route, try to open the hole offset away from the corner if you can to mitigate this. Mine worked fine but there was a small amount of binding.

I'll find you some hoses you don't have to do the bracket and line mods with. The hoses were 18" long which seems long, but they were just right. Here is a Russell hose that should do the trick and fit the stock inverted flare lines/nuts you have: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-657350/. The upside using these hoses is you won't have to worry about indexing the chassis side in the bracket since they are round and can spin in the bracket (unlike the ones I used and had to modify the brackets for), the downside is you will have to hold the hose end from spinning when you tighten the flare nut. I have these in a 9" length on my Cobra rear discs and they are nice/work well. The indexing was required on my fronts so that the banjo fitting orientation was correct to mate with the calipers.

So this is a solution I offer to you. Hope it helps you Dan.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Jeez - you'd think the knuckle head at Russel could tell you the 10 mm or "3/8" banjo part woulda worked for you..? LOL nothing like trial and error I guess! Thanks for the info Bob, My bro-inlaw is gonna need this info when we get to the point of ditching the drums.....not sure how we are going to go about it yet, but this sounds pretty good!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered a set of the Russells. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow or the next day. Summit is close to me. I also ordered 2 of the brackets just in case. Thanks for the help. When the stuff comes in, I will let you know how it fits.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 of 4 hoses and the brackets arrived today. I don't know how Summit does it. I ordered the stuff at lunch yesterday and it was waiting for me when I got home. The 4th hose is coming in from OHIO due tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts