Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the most Pig-headed, ignorant comment I have ever heard.

This is from the Jan 02 Mustang & Fords Magazine :
The article is "Best Fords to modify" , and I quote -

"Mercury's Cougar makes a good restomod under one condition: no stupid hop-up tricks. Cougars are not drag cars, nor are they road race cars either. Build your Cougar for luxury touring purposes only......." ".....build a quiet V8"

Its almost like he is talking about a 50's cruiser or something.
Maybe someone should let them in on the Cougar's road and drag race history....?

:rolleyes:

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Don't protest too loudly otherwise too many people might become interested in classic Cougars.

A really quick luxury tourer with leather interior and great features beats the @@#@ out of a Moostang street racer that rides like a skateboard and sounds like a 5 ton truck

Nothing like the satisfaction of knowing you have something just that much better

·
Registered
168 Posts
yep PISSED me off too.

I am currently building a 470 horse cougar. It really made me angry especially because the longer wheel base makes for better weight transfer. I also agree with leon; the whole reason I bought my cat is because no one has them.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Sign me up for pissed off.

Maybe we should flood them with pictures of Classic Cougars on the strip and the road courses.
I wonder if they've ever heard of Trans-Am Racing with Dan Gurney and Parnelli Jones, or drag racing with Dyno Don and his 68 "Eliminator"?
I wonder if they know that 4 of the top ten drivers for the 67 Trans-Am season were Cougar drivers? Only 2 were Mustangs!
(Maybe they should change the name to Cougar & Mercurys.)

I subscribe to Mustang & Fords Magazine and was shocked to see a comment like that. They are usually pretty good about recognizing all Ford products equally.
I was trying to cool off enough to write a printable rebuttal but that doesn't seem to be happening...... :angryfi:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was mad too..

Yeah I read that a while back I didn't like it. Amen to what TheRktmn said! Do they think that Cougars are inferior to the mustang or what? - Chad

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
They seem to think EVERYTHING is inferior to their beloved Moosetang! LOL. On 12/7/01 I wrote to them:

In your January 2002 issue on "Best Fords To Modify" you state: "Cougars are not drag cars, nor are they road race cars either. Build your Cougar for luxury touring purposes only."

That is a strange comment from a Ford enthusiast magazine. Maybe you should have consulted drivers Ed Leslie, Dan Gurney and Parnelli Jones. Or Bud Moore Engineering. They drove and built the successful 1967 Trans Am Cougars. Mercury finished with 62 points and Ford finished with 64. Chevrolet was a distant third.

Cougars were also heavily involved in drag racing. There were the fiberglass Funny Car Eliminators, driven by "Dyno" Don Nicholson. They were also fielded in Pro Stock. Again, driven by "Dyno" Don and "Fast Eddie" Schartman. The Coca Cola Giveaway Drag Cougar has been restored and the price is a cool $200,000.

Also Tiny Lund won the '68 title in NASCAR's Grand touring series in a Cougar.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
406 Posts
a year of cougars in M&F's...

In the May 2001 issue, Mustangs and Fords did and article "Track Cat" about the Dan Gurney 67 Trans Am Cougar built up by Bud Moore. They gave it a few pages and gave credit to the Cougar for its accomplishments in the series.

In the August 2001 issue, Mustangs and Fords wrote an article on a 69 "Hertz" Eliminator that was "easy to see why this classy cat is a presence to be reckoned with wherever it stalks." On the very next page they show a picture of the 67 race Cougar driven by Bob Estes.

And to top it off, - in the December 2001 issue the magazine encouraged a kid to soup up the engine of a 67 cougar, and said that "The end result will be a performance Ford that's streetable, but strong enough to "'go play with a Camaro SS and burn a few ricers, too.'"

With all this I think that whoever wrote those dreaded lines in the January issue is just a random dumbass that just happened to get that one by the editor, and he should be fired. - Chad

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Chad: "....and he should be fired" :spit:
:p: :p: :p: :p:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Extreme Hostility Detected...

I am a subsriber to the M&F mag, and I think it is a tragedy that the writers of this magazine told US, the cougar republic (LOL), directly to our faces not to screw around with our cats! Hasn't anyone told these people of names like Dan Gurney?! Drag cougars win all the time!( look at Tim B's post for full details) Anyway, I do remember reading that, and I had extreme hostility toward the comment: "don't make any STUPID hop-up tricks.....", what, do they expect us to take that sitting down? I don't think so:confused:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
write to 'em!

The e-mail for letters is:

[email protected]

It was recently changed. This month they didn't have any mail LOL.
My 2nd favorite magazine Muscle Car Review has bit the dust. In place of it I got HOT ROD (same publishing family as Mustang & Ford BTW) I HATE that chevy rag. They also omitted Cougars from a Trans Am restomod article! Stupid family! My favorite is Collectible Automobile, a 1st class publication.

Tim B

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Look on the bright

" don't make any STUPID hop-up tricks " sounds like good advice to me. Just make really good ones. Remember you are driving a gentlemans (and ladies) performance machine. Nothing like being really quick and really elegant ;-))

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hmm, i dont get that mag, but that sucks. i havnt seen it. i did notice the omission of Cougars and 71-73 Stangs for the Hot Rod Trans Am article though. I have one of each of the Stang and Cougar. I have driven several early Stangs and EVERY classic Stang owner seems to like the Cougar more. Most of the guys that that have the Stangs tend to have them for resale value though. ( sadly the Cougar is still behind there ) i got my Cougar because it is different. i dont see many around ( there is a 67 at my college though, and there was a mean looking 69 there last semester ) I like not having just another Stang. hell, i had a chance to buy a 70 302 Stang convt before i got the Cougar, cheaper to, i passed on it. The Cougar is classier, rides sooooooo much better, and unlike alot of Stangs out there, it will hook off the line at the Stoplight drags. This Cougar has eaten a couple of new GTs luches. and it will do i again sometime. when we see more Cougars in Mags and such, maybe they will be more popular. Alot of people didnt even know what my car was around here. The young'uns ( this coming from a 20 year old lol ) thought it was a Buick, Oldsmobile, and even a Charger once (?). But i rarely see a Cougar in print, just a few here and there. ( ok, Hot Rod had one on a cover a year or 2 ago, but how many have ever been on it?)

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
We do need to give M&F some praise.

Over the last 15 months they have had regular articles featuring Cougars and these have been full of praise our cars.

We can point out the racing heritage of the Cat but don't think we should be too hard on them for one writers limited opinion

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Leon, I dont think this is turning into a M & F bashfest.
I subscribe to the mag myself, but I still think the author of this article is wearing his colon around his neck.

·
Registered
406 Posts
"No stupid hop-up tricks..." That is just plain ridiculous. When is performance ever stupid? If I have a 68 R-code... should I swap out the 428 for a 289 and take away the ram air, so that way it will be a more "quiet V-8"? If my car came with an upgraded suspension package should I swap that out for something that will make it less of a "road race"car? - That guy was just an idiot I've seen good work in M&F and I'm going to continue to buy their magazine ... but I do think they should fire that guy :D They should be more careful being that I [and many other people] buy that magazine to benefit my car, and if they don't agree with what I'm doing... I'm going to go elsewhere. So they should keep that type of thing in mind. Having said that I just want to say that Cougars are better than Mustangs ;) - Chad

·
Contributing Member
11 Posts
Hi Guys,

This is my 1st message in this forum so firstly I would just like to say hello to you all.

After reading all your comments I am starting to get the impression that even over in the US a Cougar attracts the same kind of attention as it does here in Australia.
Whenever I drive down the street everyone turns around. Initially it is to see where that wonderful V8 sound is coming from.
Then their expressions change to intrigue because they are not quite sure what they are looking at. Once they get a good look and after I explain to them how privileged they are being in the company of a Classic Cougar their expressions change to excitement, but as I drive away they have envy written all over their faces, and I am sure, that after a few minutes they would again feel sad when they realise they will once again have to put up with seeing Mustang after Mustang after Porsche after Falcon after Mercedes ( you get the picture ) with nothing quite measuring up to the mighty COUGAR.

Maybe the guy from M&F has been deprived had this experience, and if so maybe we should show him some compassion because he would already be suffering more than anyone deserves,

·
Registered
698 Posts
What ever you do, don't do this.

Or this

By the way Leon, hope you and your cars escaped the hail.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I don't know what they're putting in their pipes over there, but if you go to their website they have a side bar called "Related Content". This included such FLM related links as
Street Performance Tips For Your Dakota and 1969 Road Runner Project, Part IV
:confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts