Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring a 67 cougar and have a set of 69 cougar seats front and rear and have a set of front 68 mustang seats. I'm going to recover the 68 mustang seats and use those. But can I use mustang seat covers for the 69 cougar seats? Will 68 mustang rear seat upholstery work on 69 cougar seat? I don't want headrests in my 67 which is why I'm not using the 69 fronts. any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Mustang seat covers will work on Cougar seat frames. Just use the proper foam pads and listing wires. No problem in using the 69 front seats without head restraints, just don't cut open the holes for the head restraint posts.

Be careful though, the Cougar may reject the horsey seats....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to agree with the mustang upholstery not being correct, but the price difference is money I want to put towards the engine and other things. We are talking a huge savings, which I cant justify.
So, Im planning on using the 68 mustang upholstery on my 68 mustang front seat frames and using the 68 mustang upholstery on my rear 69 cougar seat/frames. Should look nice and will save a ton!

thanks

·
Registered
784 Posts
Cutting corners to save money usually isn't a good thing...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Cutting corners to save money usually isn't a good thing...
I would agree with you IF a person is going to restore the vehicle to original specs. Just know that there are a lot of us out here who want our cars to drive, but do not have the extra money to bring it to "original". I will agree, it is always best for resale value if it is original.

Just my opinion
Lloyd

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not a guy that personally cares if something is factory or not- its not that I dont have the money to purchase cougar seat upholstery, just goes against what my father has always taught me, "dont give your money away, you work for it and if the prices arent reasonable, dont pay it". I just cant justify $400 or whatever for a front set and not even considering the rear. To me thats crazy when you can get mustang set (front/rear) for around $200. Im restoring my cougar and in town of 100,000+ people, nobody will know a difference anyway.

But, I do have total respect for the people that have completely original cars and want to keep them that way- I love them. My plans are for a driver that I can take to work, car shows and enjoy it. The seat covers will be the last of my worries when it comes to originality, trust me.

Take care guys-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts