Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a question: would a 88-93 fox body mustang 8.8 rear end be the correct width for a 67 cougar? I have the stock 8" in it now and am thinking of putting an 8.8 that my uncle has laying around. Just hoping that I wouldn't have to narrow it.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
What do you hope to gain from the swap? The 8 is a very solid rear and seldom torn up unless you put some real muscle in front of it. The 8.8 is only a bit stronger. If it is a 28 spline it would be a waste of effort and a 9 inch 31 spline would be a better upgrade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't gain that much other then a LSD. but I plan to build a 408 stroker in the future and don't want to put money into my 8". I also know that it is lighter then a 9", almost as strong, and and is more efficient , less horsepower consumed (less Parasitic loss). I would like to put disc brakes on it also. I'm just not sure if the 8.8. From a 86-93 mustang fox body is too wide for a 67 cougar.
I see you have a 408 in you cougar. What are the specs on the engine? Do you have any pics of it?

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I wouldn't gain that much other then a LSD. but I plan to build a 408 stroker in the future and don't want to put money into my 8". I also know that it is lighter then a 9", almost as strong, and and is more efficient , less horsepower consumed (less Parasitic loss). I would like to put disc brakes on it also. I'm just not sure if the 8.8. From a 86-93 mustang fox body is too wide for a 67 cougar.
I see you have a 408 in you cougar. What are the specs on the engine? Do you have any pics of it?
Have not gotten to a dyno yet. I used a 74 9.5 block, Pro comp 225 heads, Comp Cams 284ex cam, forged 22cc dish pistons (will be just a tick under 10:1 compression) Scat kit, edlebrock performer RPM, Comp cams gold series rockers, ARP bolts and studs all through the engine, . Still not settled on a final carb. Got a plain 600 holley on it from my 289 just to get it started and through the break in. Got an Eddie 750 I will slip on and try. But looking at a road race prepared holley. MSD ignition on points right now but have a new duraspark to modify and put in. Lakewood scatter shield which has a wide ratio top loader hanging on it. Final link is an N case 9 inch daytona bearing with 3.55 detriot locker.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Have not gotten to a dyno yet. I used a 74 9.5 block, Pro comp 225 heads, Comp Cams 284ex cam, forged 22cc dish pistons (will be just a tick under 10:1 compression) Scat kit, edlebrock performer RPM, Comp cams gold series rockers, ARP bolts and studs all through the engine, . Still not settled on a final carb. Got a plain 600 holley on it from my 289 just to get it started and through the break in. Got an Eddie 750 I will slip on and try. But looking at a road race prepared holley. MSD ignition on points right now but have a new duraspark to modify and put in. Lakewood scatter shield which has a wide ratio top loader hanging on it. Final link is an N case 9 inch daytona bearing with 3.55 detriot locker.
attached one of the engine when it was till being mocked up. Can't beleive I didn't take one of it fully assemebled before going in the hole. Another pic attached is the 9 inch I put in. That is the way to go for hot engine and hard use.

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have not measured myself but Aje racing will soon be releasing a bolt in kit for a sn95 8.8 so I believe the fox one will be a tad narrow. But that is a axle swap away from corrected. a 408 will be to much for a 29 spline stock diff but they make anything you wan to make it hold up

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
98 exploder is 59 11/16 -flange to flange w/o any coil spring bs to deal with--most are 3.73 to 1 with posi and nice disc brakes---usually less than $ 300.00 bucks---posi repair parts available from ford and if you need it narrowed , hunt down the correct mustang type axle shaft and narrow the long side only !! the only thing i see wrong with this rear as their butt ugly from the rear---would not work in a highboy roadster
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
There are certain years explorers that all use the 31 spline 8.8. I got one and put it in the trail jeep I built. I will see if I can find the listing of applicable years.

here is a very good link for 8.8.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371713

I rebuilt the one I used in my trail Jeep with the factory clutch and spring limited slip. Not to bad of a job but a 9 inch ford is a lot easier to set up.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The fox body mustang uses a 4-bolt rim pattern which maybe an issue with rim choice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts