Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video was shot back in January, and has been sitting around, waiting for its chance to be seen. It's finally time. We met up with Jason Sipe of Phoenix, who owns AZ Piano. Jason is an exceptionally talented pianist, as well as a big muscle car enthusiast. We got a chance to see his collection of cool cars, including a very rare '69 Cougar that is under restoration. Enough said, watch the video.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Awesome cars, especially the Drag Pac Cougar with a C6 and sunroof from the factory. Not to mention the Torino Cobra. Would also love to hear more about the "Lime Frost" big Merc; bet there's a story there!

Also enjoyed the ragtime/vaudeville/silent movie music being played on a Grand. The guy is good.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Great vid! he has great taste in cars the cyclone looks bad azz.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Great movie. Thanks Andrew.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Pretty much looked like my dream garage.

One video tip if I may. At the volume where the conversations were easy to hear, the piano music was somewhat overwhelming. Or maybe I'm just getting to be an old guy that doesn't like loud music anymore.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Great vid! he has great taste in cars the cyclone looks bad azz.
Not just a Cyclone but a Cyclone Spoiler. I talked to an old guy awhile back that has one sitting behind his barn. He didn't want to take me over to look at it closely but in this day and age who can blame him. He bought it new and says that it is a Boss 429 car. Everything I've read says that the only car that came with the Boss 429 was a Mustang but Mercury supposedly did have some test mules with the Boss engines. Did one of these escape? I hope so. I'll be calling on the gentleman again. I don't think it can be bought but I'd like to look at it even if it doesn't have a Boss in it.

Great video. I love looking into garages with old muscle cars. Keep up the good work Don.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Maybe the Boss 429 Spoiler in this photo.
70 Spoiler Boss429.jpg
Not just a Cyclone but a Cyclone Spoiler. I talked to an old guy awhile back that has one sitting behind his barn. He didn't want to take me over to look at it closely but in this day and age who can blame him. He bought it new and says that it is a Boss 429 car. Everything I've read says that the only car that came with the Boss 429 was a Mustang but Mercury supposedly did have some test mules with the Boss engines. Did one of these escape? I hope so. I'll be calling on the gentleman again. I don't think it can be bought but I'd like to look at it even if it doesn't have a Boss in it.

Great video. I love looking into garages with old muscle cars. Keep up the good work Don.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Great video Andrew and Don, Loved the 69. When the camera took the shot of the under side of the car, It was painted a gloss grey, is this right. I would think this was not a factory color or paint, any info?
Thanks again!!
Love the stuff you guy's put out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I was going to comment on it being a Cyclone Spoiler. When I was looking online 10x/day for Cougars in the Spring, I was also trying to find one of them too, just for giggles. The cyclone really reminds me of the 1972 Galaxie 500 2 door I grew up and learned to drive on and took to college. great car.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I bet someone thought it would be cool to make homemade "Boss" graphics for this car. Either that or the typical misinformed owner or enthusiast we all seem to run into occasionally.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Maybe the Boss 429 Spoiler in this photo.
View attachment 26648
I might know where this particular car ended up. Trying to document it's existence at this time. I grew up around it. the motor was relieved of the engine bay, just to sit in front of it in a field for 20-25 years or so. The motor was picked up by a person knowledgeable of Boss 429 Motors and this car has most likely been sent to the Scrapper. I am doing what I can to prove it did exist. The 1970 Dealer Literature had the Boss 429 as an Option for 1970 Cyclone, it is just commonly believed that none were produced. I feel differently about that.

I have heard that there was a Yellow Boss9 Cyclone seen in the Auto Show Circuit at the time, as well.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I bet someone thought it would be cool to make homemade "Boss" graphics for this car. Either that or the typical misinformed owner or enthusiast we all seem to run into occasionally.
I thought of that too but the owner said that he bought the car new so he or the dealer would have been the one that put them on. He seemed like an honest guy and it seemed like he was knowledgeable about the old Ford/Mercury cars. I could tell that he was very attached to this car. It is possible that he thinks that a Cobra Jet is a Boss. Well anyway, I intend on finding out if he'll let me get close to it. The next time I'll take binoculars and a camera with me.

Back to the video. Great looking Cougar and a Super Cobra Jet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts