Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Muscle Car Power Magazine

12K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  COUGRRRMAN 
#1 ·
Many of you probably remember the magazine "Muscle Car Review" that was published by Dobbs Publishing. It was my favorite car magazine but became extinct after acquisition by Primedia, publisher of Hot Rod, Car Craft and Mustang & Fords.

The main driving forces behind that magazine were Greg Donohue, Paul Zazarine and Tom Shaw. Tom and Greg have teamed up and started a new magazine of the same type called " Muscle Car Power". I received my first issue yesterday and it is great. Huge page size, beautiful photography and intelligent writing. No Cougars in the first issue but that is about to change. I wrote an email to Mr. Shaw to congratulate him on the first issue and told him about my interest in Cougars. He told me in his reply that beginning in the next issue they start a project car. It is:

A 1970 COUGAR ELIMINATOR!!!!!!!

http://www.musclecarpower.com

Royce

#4 ·
Cool. Im signing up.
Thats not Tom Shaw from STYX is it?

#5 ·
Looks pretty good Royce

#6 ·
Sounds Cool-

Until you find out they want nearly ten bucks per issue for the rag.
You will also only get four issues a year. (BULL)
I think I'll spend my forty on my car. At thier prices I wont miss much...
shane:klo:

#8 ·
You have a point there LIL..
It would have to be all FoMoCo to spend that much.

#9 ·
Shane,

It's $24.95 a year if you subscribe. Look at one on the news stand, it is one hell of a magazine. There has never been a car magazine with photography like this. It is expensive compared to Car Craft but with twice the pages and half the ad content.

#10 ·
Royce,
The website shows the one year subscription price as $29.95. It also does not include the premier issue (the first one), but will for an extra $9.95. I'm wondering if by premier issue, it will be the only one to have that much content. If all the issues are that jam packed with articles, then it is a worth while subscription.

#11 ·
The subscription card that is in the premier issue says $24.95.

#14 ·
I received one a few months ago and was very impressed with the quality. I too was an avid MCR supporter and thought that I had finally found a replacement. Until I saw the subscription price! Mine was $40 annually for 4 issues. That's what put me off. If it was FOMOCO I would spend it, but there wasn't enough non GM content to justify it.
Their website is http://www.musclecarpower.com/ and their subscribe list is:

THE PREMIER ISSUE FOR $9.95 USD
(NOT INCLUDED IN SUBSCRIPTION - ORDER SEPARATELY)

1 YEAR SUBSCRIPTION (4 ISSUES) @ $29.95 USD (ISSUE #1 NOT INCLUDED)

2 YEAR SUBSCRIPTION (10 ISSUES) 2 $55.95 USD (ISSUE #1 NOT INCLUDED)

Sorry guys, but that's a lot of money. I'll probably pick them off the shelf if they have something I'm interested in. If I find that I am buying it regular then I will subscribe.
Don't get me wrong - it's a really good magazine, just pricey.

#15 ·
Still think its high...

But I did a little "checking" out the web.
Particularly the Boss 429. (Drool, slobber, sniff...)
I probly will shuck $40 for coverage of these kinds of cars.
I told Tom that I am very skeptical at that price, but I am interested in seeing and hearing more about this class of cars.
He seems adament about the direction the mag is headed, where I come from determination means everything, even if it cost more.
shane:xoli:

#16 ·
Yep. That Boss is really something.
The magazine is a work of art, no doubt. But I remember when Hot Rod was the mag to have too....
I'm stuck on the fence on this one...... :confused:

#18 ·
Thanks Royce. I just ordered the premier issue to see if I like it.
Then I will take the subscribe card inside to order a 1 year subscription. $25 is not bad. If it is really good and features lots of FOMOCO, then super.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.