Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after some closer inspection of the new cat i discovered both mufflers have holes in them. that might explain my "dead spot" when i get on the gas?? anyway, just wondering what kind of mufflers folks around here like?? thanks

mkk- '69 XR7

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Depends on your preference. If you like being loud, like me, I run flowmaster 50's...

If you prefer a nice rumble, go with Ravin's or Magnaflows...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Mufflers

That is your choice.

Do you want real quiet, mild rumble, throaty growl, or obnoxious noise? Do you want stock appearance and location or something different? Are you running headers? What size exhaust pipe? Full exhaust? Single or duals? What engine/drivetrain mods?

My 'Beta' Cat is almost stock, so I left it with a stock dual exhaust, although with turbo-style mufflers. This gives it a low rumble -- just enough to let the weenies in fart-boxes know that there's something under the hood. This is stock cast iron manifolds, and full 2-1/4 pipes back to the mufflers and 2" tailpipes. The front H-pipe has a balance tube connecting the two headpipes. This helps quiet the pulses and helps with low-end torque. This is a 351C-4V car, and it'll run 14.40s through the full exhaust.

My 'Alpha' Cat is a street/strip car, also with a 351C-4V. That car has full-length headers, 2-1/2" pipes back to Sonic Turbo mufflers and 2-1/4" tailpipes. I don't have a balance tube on this setup because there's really no room, along with the fact that I may want to uncork the headers for some serious strip duty. This car will run 13.30s through the exhaust and 12.90s with open headers. Definite throaty, menacing growl, a bit loud if I romp on it a bit.

My 89 Marquis runs shorty Mustang GT headers, hi-flow cats and stock duals from there on back. Nice low rumble. Yeah, yeah, I know... Marquises aren't supposed to rumble, but I gotta be me! :)

Now, if this isn't the question you wanted answered, like maybe you were looking for brand name muffler recommendations, I'm sorry, but I haven't tried them all. I used Sonic turbos and Walker DynoMax almost exclusively (that's all there were back when I put these cars together.) These mufflers have a full size core, meaning they don't just have big tube connections connected to 2" pipe internal cores like some of the cheaper brands.

Whatever you decide, please, please, please use a full exhaust. There's nothing tackier than headers followed by header mufflers and nothing else. A proper exhaust will compliment your ride.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a little more info about the car. it's a california car,(no rust!!) just moved to missouri about a year ago with the third owner. everything is pretty well stock. the exhaust is is great shape except for the mufflers which apper to have bottomed out a few times tearing holes in them. stock location. i'd like to have a decent throatiness to it. it's my dailydriver too so i don't need anything to outrageous.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I run Magnaflows on my 99 Lightning, and am very happy with the low throaty rumble they put off... They're very quiet while cruising, but when you add a heavy foot they start making some noise...

Highly recommend em.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My favorites from my younger days were the tin can straight through Thrush. I dont think they make them anymore or at least I cant find them. My car had some wimpy sounding turbo mufflers, I think they were flowmasters, and I had to have some masculine sounds from the car so I ended up with some generic 2 1/4" core glass packs and mounted them reversed. They were the only straight throughs I could find that had the bent outlets to go right in place of the turbos. A nice rumble at idle and under power you can hear me coming from quite a ways away and thats the way I like it.mm

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has to be Flowmaster for me. Nice rumble for cruising, and it turns all the heads when I let the lead foot drop. This is also my daily driver, 70 XR7 with a 351C-2v. There is a HUGE difference from stock with the Edelbrock performer intake and Flowmaster exhaust!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Flowmaster 40's for me. You have to get the good mendrel bent pipes too, because to really get the good flowmaster power and sound, stock just won't cut it. - Chad

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Mufflers

I am running dynomax mufflers, I have had them on the car for about 9 years now. They seem to be louder this year but they haven't rusted out yet and I am very happy with them. I am also running hooker headers and a full exhaust with factory exit points. Nice rumble....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts