Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to figure out which muffler I want to run. I'm looking for an extreamly low throaty sound and want to be noticed when I drop foot. However, I don't really want it to be totally anoyingly (if thats a word) loud. There is a 69 charger down the street and when he nails it it puts off a really loud brappy kind of sound. i would love to hear what your running and how it sounds. I'm sure I would be happy with most any muffler, but I would like to hear from you all.

Also on another note. Does anyone know where to find some aluminum heads for a 351C.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i have Flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers on the Cougar. 2.5 inches with full tailpipes. alot will play a factor in how the engine will sound. the cam, headers, exhaust pipe diameter, full taillipipes or dumps, compression and whatnot. i like how my car sounds. its not that loud, but when you punch it it lets you know its there. if i get a Mic up ill put the sounds on here at all rev ranges.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Im using 2 1/4" Flowtech Raptors on the Fairlane with tail pipes and it sounds good. It has Flowtech headers, and an Erson 280* cam, so it idles cool, and sounds awesome when it's floored. And only payed 25. each. Flowmasters are the hot ticket, but at 100. each thats kinda much for the Fairlane, but I'm getting 3in. Flowmasters for the Cougar when it's done.

Rick

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I am running Dynomax (aluminized)turbo mufflers with full (factory)tailpipes. I have notice they have gotten louder with age but they have been on the car for about 10 years. I am also running hooker headers with no x or h pipe. I am happy with the sound and would use them again.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
669 Posts
I like the sound mine is putting out. Nice rumble at idle, not loud, but you hear it when you punch it. I'm running a 302 4v, Comp cam extreme energy 230/236 duration @ .050 with .523 lift. 10.5/1 compression, hooker headers, and 2.5 inch with crossover full tail pipes,, mufflers? Summit racing 3 chamber fully welded, $38.69 each in the new catalog.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have the 3 chamber flowmasters, the newer delta flow. They have a nice rumble, but are not loud unless you get on it. They are fine at highway speed.

Steve

·
Registered
314 Posts
Aluminum Cleveland/ mufflers

No one makes aluminum cleveland heads:mad: , I have looked every where. The closest thing I could find were the Yates style head offered in the Ford Racing Catalog, but I think that those are better suited for a windsor or svo type block.

As for mufflers, a friend of mine has some 3 chamber flowmasters on his crapmaro, and I really like the sound.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clevelandcougar: You just reminded me that I thought I had found a site that made alum. heads for panteras. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it again. Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the 3 chamber flowmasters, the newer delta flow. They have a nice rumble, but are not loud unless you get on it. They are fine at highway speed.

Steve, whats the diff between the regular and the delta flows?

·
Registered
544 Posts
The delta flow are a little quieter than the regular flowmasters according to the flowmaster website. My understanding is that they have discontinued the non delta flow for most if not all applications. The 3 chamber are now the 50 series, and the 2 chamber are the 40 series. The web site has a comparison chart of the noise level of each. Flowmaster is also very helpful if you call. My concern with the convertible was that I needed to be able to cruise on the highway without it being so loud my wife and kids would refuse to ride with me. On a 2 or 3 hour ride it can make a big difference. I'd still rather turn off the radio and listen to the sound of the 428.

Steve:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm running 2.5" pipes, no cross/h pipe. 2 chamber Flowmasters, Flowtech Terminator headers - fronted by a 302 with a mild cam. It roars when the throttle is open is purrs when cruising.. except around 60-65. There's this hum that though not loud per se, it somehow washes out everything.
Solution? Go faster :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts