Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting my car all flushed at my mechanics shop and decided to replace the muffler. Original muffler and exhaust, so I suppose it was time... Matter of fact, I decided I wanted a duel exhaust system (pardon me if I am getting these words mixed) I like the rumble, but maybe a bit loud... Any way to quiet it down a bit?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Dual exhaust is the term. It is all in the muffler selection. Magnaflow mufflers would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have duals with Magnaflow mufflers installed in my '68 by the previous owner. No H-pipe, but welded all the way back to the mufflers. A little loud, for my taste, especially at 2,000 rpm, but I'll keep the system anyway.
DP

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
1. H pipe
2. Exit out of the rear of the muffler should be no less than 3" in length before turning up over the axle.
3. Exhaust should end ever so slightly past the valance panel and at 45 degree down angle if you doing baloney ends as in the stock look.

Those help minimize creating extra noise that could reverberate into the car.

As for mufflers that is like asking what is the best oil. Everybody has their taste. For example I am anti Flowmaster as I am sick of constantly hearing about them. In a week or two my Polara will get a new exhaust, single to dual as I described above. Mufflers used will be Dynomax Super Turbos which are 81db at idle, one of the lowest, and around 110-112db at WOT and so not one of the loudest by any means.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Will magna flow mufflers bolt up to the original hangers on a 68?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Will magna flow mufflers bolt up to the original hangers on a 68?
No. All mufflers (to my knowledge) need U-brackets welded to the end of the muffler in order for the stock hangers to have something to bolt to. There is an alternative though (shoddy at best in my book). L-shaped brackets that most exhaust manufacturers make which bolt to the rear muffler clamp and provide a vertical surface with a bunch of holes, two of which your stock hangers will bolt to. Personally I don't like them, but they work. Had them on my original Cougar but have since gone the extra distance for the ECI 'vert and had stainless U-brackets made and welded them to my stainless Magnaflow mufflers.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
1. H pipe
2. Exit out of the rear of the muffler should be no less than 3" in length before turning up over the axle.
3. Exhaust should end ever so slightly past the valance panel and at 45 degree down angle if you doing baloney ends as in the stock look.

Those help minimize creating extra noise that could reverberate into the car.

As for mufflers that is like asking what is the best oil. Everybody has their taste. For example I am anti Flowmaster as I am sick of constantly hearing about them. In a week or two my Polara will get a new exhaust, single to dual as I described above. Mufflers used will be Dynomax Super Turbos which are 81db at idle, one of the lowest, and around 110-112db at WOT and so not one of the loudest by any means.
1. Check.
2. I see the value here, but not practical for all but much-shorter-than-stock mufflers.
3. Interesting thought, but stock (to my knowledge) end before the valence by some amount. I went with an inch or so before on the ECI 'vert, mostly because I did not want the tips to be seen more than just a little.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
69 vert, I have the original mufflers, they are no good but the piece that the hangers bolt to is on them. If I cut them off could a welder put them on the new mufflers without burning the muffler?

·
Registered
913 Posts
69 vert, I have the original mufflers, they are no good but the piece that the hangers bolt to is on them. If I cut them off could a welder put them on the new mufflers without burning the muffler?
Your muffler shop should be able to do the welding with no problem, they may even have the U pieces in stock, mine did! Good luck.

·
11,000 Posts
I weld two bolts to the back of each muffler before installation. Then you can just use the original hangers by putting nuts on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does anyone have a good source for the exhaust pipe muffler on back? My local exhaust shop hates to customize now since the experienced guy left last year. I did find on Summit Racing #15807 Flowmaster 2.5" tailpipes. Has anyone used these particular ones and your feedback would be great!!!! Thanks.

RonD

·
Registered
200 Posts
Does anyone have a good source for the exhaust pipe muffler on back? My local exhaust shop hates to customize now since the experienced guy left last year. I did find on Summit Racing #15807 Flowmaster 2.5" tailpipes. Has anyone used these particular ones and your feedback would be great!!!! Thanks.

RonD
I would check out another exhaust shop. If they can't fabricate a tail pipe I wouldn't want them to do anything exhaust related on my car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts