Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have any sound files of their cars?? ive been told that my car isnt all that loud and i just want to compare it to some on here. i know its not all that scientific but hey... at least i can hear some cool noises. and by the way.. am i the only one thats never really heard their car as it drives away?? ive always kinda wondered what it sounds like to other people.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Your car is loud, I heard it as Bobs. It's just quiet at idle, and still not that quiet then.... Put a big cam in it.... that'll louden it up.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Headers with side pipes are always good:1poke: :1poke:

Don

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Let's get ready to rumblllllle!

I'm in a quandry as to what sort of exhaust to use on AlphaCat to get a nice low growl. I don't want something that is going to attract too much attention though. I also don't want to be giving myself a headache from excessive noise. I also want it to flow well enough that I won't have to crawl under the car to disconnect the exhaust if I want to go racing.

OK, the only absolute requirements I have are the headers and tailpipes that go just past the rear valence. I suppose a balance tube is also in order. Back when the engine was closer to stock I used 2-1/4" pipes from the headers to the 2-1/4" mufflers, then the stock tailpipes. Well, obviously with the new healthier engine I'll need more flow! (Well, that and the fact that I threw away the old exhaust.) Do I go with 2-1/2" or 3" back to the mufflers? Which mufflers? Then I'm left with tailpipe sizing...which, of course, will have to be custom bent anyway since nobody even lists stock tailpipes for 71-73 dual exhaust Cats anymore... again they have cheapened out and list Mustang pipes for our longer Cougars... I do still have AlphaCat's stock tailpipes to use as a guide. BetaCat's got the Mustang tailpipes because even twenty years ago I couldn't find dual Cougar tailpipes.

Mufflers. Boy, have they come a long way in the last twenty years. Back then the hot ticket was a set of Thrush 'turbo' mufflers. I'm sure there are better ones out there now! My old station wagon got duals and DynoMax SuperTurbo mufflers. Boy, that 460 sounded sweet!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well... i have a 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust with a balance tube that goes all the way back about 1 inch past the rear valance. it has Heddman headers up front and 40 series Delta Flow Flowmasters for teh mufflers. i do like the sound on it and it really isnt that loud at idle ( to me ). but it does let you know its there at higher RPM. i had 3 chamber Flows before and they were ok too but they didnt have enough bass and grunt for me. i did get more interior noise with the 2 chambers ( even though they are the Delta Flows ) but its not annoying. and the noise did mellow out after a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here you can kinda see the tips here. i dislike dumps on exhaust by the way. had a buddy with a 63 Nova with dumps and god.. the noise the rattling the smell... and i think my car was still faster lol. just didnt SOUND like it :)

wow... looking at that picture i see that its kinda old lol... i still had alot of stickers on the 1/4 windows.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,201 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Whatever size/configuration you decide on, you HAVE to make sure that you start the car and maybe drive it around the block once with the headers dumping to open air under your feet (before you bolt up the rest of the system). My most special memory involving just me and the car is the first time I started it with the headers on and nothing else before we drove it ~5 miles to the muffler shop. I felt like John Force... :evil: :ylsup: :D :D :D :D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
As much as I'm used to (and love) the sound of open headers, I have to drive right by the police station on a 55MPH road to get to the custom muffler shop. Definately not a good idea! LOL!

I'll get enough open header sound at the track, thankyouverymuch!

It goes to the muffler shop on the trailer!

·
Registered
763 Posts
A good trick to get the Bass in your sound.... Use thrush cherrybomb mufflers, and instal a (watch out!!) Harley Davidson (from an old electra glide. The kind that have the two exhaust in one muffler. (2 in 1). ) muffler with everything out of it on the end. Do this on each pipe. You can find them for 10$/piece. Boy this is the trick, you create something like a trumpet, but you only get a real deep deep noise. And it is chromed all the way. This is a head-turner.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Cougrrcj, imagine driving past the cop station with 428cj's idea.
Sounds good, wonder where I would find HD mufflers here?????

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Here is a sound file of my cat (some of you have heard this before):

http://www.tamos.net/~jimk/jimzcat.wav

'70 351C - 2v. 600 holley, mld cam, headman headers, 2.5 inch pipe from headers to tail pipes,2.25 inch tail pipes. Dynomax super turbo 3 chamber mufflers.

I highly recommend the Dynomax super turbo mufflers. Sound throaty at idle, come alive when you are on the gas, yet can still hold a conversation at highway speeds.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
How did you put the headers in, there is about 2" spares space on each side of our engine, also a 351C.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I still miss the ole straight through tin can thrush mufflers, Sigh,,
I cant find them anywhere. mm

·
Registered
3,201 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The trick on the header installation is to unbolt the motor mounts on the side of the engine that you are working on. Then, put a 2x4 on a floor jack and carefully jack up on the oil pan. Believe it or not, with the headers in, I can change plugs in about 15 min. With the old factory exhaust manifolds it used to take me three times as long!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Jim- are you serious? How high do you jack the engine? What about the tranny? Is this really as easy as it sounds???

1 - 20 of 44 Posts