Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we planted a lead into the 'tach output' in my MSD 6a box, and had no signal. I ended up wiring the tach lead from the coil +, and now I have a working tach.
I always thought that was a tach - thing. Am I going to end up killing a component having it wired the way I do? Car starts, runs and idles fine, even under a load....(Yes, I have the MSD instructions, and tried that first)

·
Registered
321 Posts
woodsnake...I had this happen on a Mustang some years ago, has something to do with how the factory tach is wired, just can't remember what it was. Don't think it's compatible with the MSD but wiring it the way you have it shouldn't hurt anything..

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Mike is right for factory tach, for aftermarket tach, MSD tach output. But, not sure of what you have going currently now that I think about it, the MSD supplies both + and - wires to the coil, so what are you connecting to + of the coil? Both your tach lead (and what kind of tach?) AND the MSD + lead for the coil?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was no signal from the tach output on the MSD box. It is an autometer tach...So, two wires from MSD to coil, plus coil wire from tachometer.

·
Registered
454 Posts
So, we planted a lead into the 'tach output' in my MSD 6a box, and had no signal. I ended up wiring the tach lead from the coil +, and now I have a working tach.
I always thought that was a tach - thing. Am I going to end up killing a component having it wired the way I do? Car starts, runs and idles fine, even under a load....(Yes, I have the MSD instructions, and tried that first)
i have had mine hooked up this exact way for years with no problems

1 - 6 of 6 Posts