Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I picked up an MSD Ignition box and I'm not sure of a good place to mount it. I have a 68 XR-7 GT. The engine is not in it right now but should be ready in the next couple weeks. I'm poking around the engine bay trying to decide on a good place to mount the MSD. The best place I've found is the front of the engine bay on the driver side. Near the wiper fluid reservoir. I'm concerned about the MSD being that close to the fluid and the heat from the radiator. I'd prefer to mount the unit in the car under the dash or maybe even extending the wires and mounting it in the trunk somewhere. Anyone have any suggestions/pics/ideas?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I have mine in place of the washer reservoir. I used to be concerned with engine compartment heat. But it hasn't been an issue. Been in that location for over 15 years.

Plus, it's in an easily accessible location for the one time that it is going to fail unexpectedly.... because they all do eventually.

After the 15 years, I replaced mine just for peace of mind and made the replacement a simple plug and play. I keep the original for a spare when I go on long trips.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I installed mine next to the wiper fluid reservior and have had no problems, It's been 2 years, it fits great and looks clean.

PBcoug

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Do you use the glove box? How about behind that....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
My choice: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?21714-(Picture)-Diary-of-an-ECI-(East-Coast-Idiot)&p=446764#post446764

Let me warn you though, if you put the box inside the car put good quality sound deadening foam around it, I have done this and still can hear the box "buzz" to the tune of the engine RPM when the car is quiet (no stereo on, etc.).

The upside with an install like I did is the engine bay is totally stealth, appears like a stock ignition except the Durapark distributor (with conventional cap) has two leads coming out of it rather than one. The other thing (the main reason I did the install this way) is that the car is pretty much immune to hot wiring, there is no way a thief could get the car to run from the engine bay unless they constructed a new ignition system in place of what is there now!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed mine next to the wiper fluid reservior and have had no problems, It's been 2 years, it fits great and looks clean.

PBcoug
Any issues with water/fluid? I kinda like this location but I'm worried about water/fluid getting on it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My choice: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?21714-(Picture)-Diary-of-an-ECI-(East-Coast-Idiot)&p=446764#post446764

Let me warn you though, if you put the box inside the car put good quality sound deadening foam around it, I have done this and still can hear the box "buzz" to the tune of the engine RPM when the car is quiet (no stereo on, etc.).

The upside with an install like I did is the engine bay is totally stealth, appears like a stock ignition except the Durapark distributor (with conventional cap) has two leads coming out of it rather than one. The other thing (the main reason I did the install this way) is that the car is pretty much immune to hot wiring, there is no way a thief could get the car to run from the engine bay unless they constructed a new ignition system in place of what is there now!
Great location! Wrong year Cougar tho. And I have a MSD 6425 the one with the rev limiter. I need to have access to the dials.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have mine in place of the washer reservoir. I used to be concerned with engine compartment heat. But it hasn't been an issue. Been in that location for over 15 years.

Plus, it's in an easily accessible location for the one time that it is going to fail unexpectedly.... because they all do eventually.

After the 15 years, I replaced mine just for peace of mind and made the replacement a simple plug and play. I keep the original for a spare when I go on long trips.
I have been thinking where to put my MSD box as well. I think I am going to do what Local Hero has done. Good to know about the non-heat issue and I probably won`t be using the washer anyway.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
It's not a great picture by any means but it will give the idea:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I mounted mine against the cowl, behind the dash and above the glove box on top of a piece of Dynamat. It probably won't be the easier thing to replace if it fails, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Great location! Wrong year Cougar tho. And I have a MSD 6425 the one with the rev limiter. I need to have access to the dials.
No problem here (and I understand the difference in year and MSD model), the 6AL has the "pill" to set the rev limit, changing this with my mounting location was an issue. An issue that I came up with a novel solution to. I call it "Dial-A-Rev-Limit":

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?21714-(Picture)-Diary-of-an-ECI-(East-Coast-Idiot)&p=448636#post448636

BTW, since you owe me one, when can I expect my '68? :buck:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts