Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya all,

Just wondered if anyone has upgraded their points system to a MSD distributor and ignition. If so, how does it work for ya? What is the model numbers of what you used? I have a 69 XR7 with a 351W in her.

Chris

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm not sure what MSD stands for...but I installed the Ignitor and the Flame-Thrower Coil and I've noticed improved HP and increased gas mileage. I was averaging 16.5 to 17 and now I'm getting 18 to 18.5. I just need to finish the process by having my distributor rebuilt.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I use an MSD 6A box and distributor. Couple of things to be aware of. First if Your car has a tach, you'll need a tach adapter (MSD #6910 for duraspark distributor, 6920 for MSD distributor). Also, after installing mine, my alternator wasn't able to keep up anymore. I don't think it draws a lot more power so much as my alternator was probably marginal to start with. So if your electrical system is maxed out or marginal than that is something to keep in mind, though that doesn't seem to be an issue for most folks who install it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kirkm76,

So you use a MSD p/n 6200 ignition. What type distibutor did you go with (p/n)?

My XR7 does have a tach in her.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My distributor is just the MSD billit distributor for the ford short block. I believe the 351 uses a different one anyway. Also, MSD distributors aren't vac. advance so you'd need to plug the vacuum port on the intake. That is really not an issue though. You can use the ford duraspark dist. off a 351w with the MSD box though. Some of my friends prefer this on daily driven cars as they are easy to get parts for.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
kirkm76, are you sure about that tach adapter number. I believe the correct one is MSD-8920. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm running this adapter with a MSD 6AL box and a 351W billet distributor MSD-8584. This set up is very easy to install because they are all designed to work together. I'm also running the blaster 2 coil. I've never had any problems with it but do agree with updating the alternator. I'm in the process of doing that right now. I'm also running an electric fuel pump along with air conditioning. But, those are off topic for this.

Mark

·
Registered
433 Posts
Local Hero,
You are right, the part numbers are 8910 and 8920 respectively, not 6910 and 6920. I just fatfingered it.

·
11,000 Posts
I am running an MSD6AL on my green 427 GTE (448 CI stroker, 8V intake). I use the stock distributor which has a Pertronix kit installed. That way I get the advantages of vacuum advance along with the MSD and can protect my investment by having the built in rev limiter.

One big advantage of the rev limiter is the ability to install very low RPM chips. When the car was being transported from California to Kentucky by the moving company I installed the 3000 chip.

MSD now makes distributors for all Ford V8 applications with vacuum advance.

·
Registered
216 Posts
So Royce,

Did the moving guys complain that your muscle car was a dog?? I assume you took down the odometer reading as well?? You are a brave soul trusting such a thing to the moving guys!

Ron.

·
11,000 Posts
Near Cincinnati, OH. My phone is 859-743-9774, give me a call some time.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I have MSD boxes on everything BUT my Cougar. The rev limiter feature is worth the $160 if you ask me. It does help the idle and performance but is mainly necessary if you are planning on building up your engine. I amjust going to stick with the Petronix Ignitor in my 67 cause its not a racer just a driver. I would recommend if you plan on racing or building your engine to revv higher RPM's to DEFINATELY go with an aftermarket Dist. of some kind. I have used Accel's (Didn't like em for the $), Mallory (OK but definately not MSD) and MSD (The clear champ!). The factory vacuum distributors from my experience when revved extra high (6500 rpms +) have no type of advance limiter in them. I set my timing on my Mustang (it has no Vacuum just mechanical advance) by the total advance. It takes a while to get the right spring/advance degree combo, but when you have built an engine getting the distributor and timing right will make as much difference as the right Carb.
Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts