Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for you guys. I just installed a 6A MSD box on my Cougar. When it asked for the 12V ignition wire, I put the red positive tach wire (As it has 12V when the ignition is on). My question is, is this wire also inline with the tach? The reason I ask is because now, the tach runs at 200RPM when it should be at 700RPM! I have a brand new tach that I would like to use, and infact plan on putting it in as soon as I am done typing this. My question is, if the tach wire is combined with the 12V wire (The red positive on the coil), will it hurt anything to just let it be, plugged into the MSD box as the 12V ign. wire? I don't mind the tach only moving a little, as I will have the new tach.

Thanks!!

Chris

·
Registered
648 Posts
See my older posts regarding the 68 I have and my tach problems...

Got 'em whipped today :)

Maybe 68 and 69 are the same and you'll need the 8920 adapter I bought. The Mod has one for sale....

Ken

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there,

I already am using an after market tach after today. So that is not the problem. All I am wondering is, if the wire that was on the positive side of the coil is both the 12V power, and tach cable, and if so, is it alright to connect to the MSD box under 12V Ign. I don't care if the tach works corectly, as I have another one in there that works great using the tach connector on the box.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ignition wire

The wire you are refering to will be fine as long as it is 12 volts. The original wire was cut down to about 8 volts with a resistor or resistor wire. The MSD needs the 12 volts. If you want to use the factory tach, you will need a tach adapter from MSD.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Chris, I still have the tach adapter, I'll let it go for 30. plus shipping which would be around 10US at the most. Im in BC, Canada. Go to http://www.msdignition.com/ then download instructions for the tach adapters. Mine is p.n. 8920, kvinmn had a 8910 and had to get the 8920 instead for his to work. They are 45-50.00 or so. Good luck.

Rick

·
Registered
160 Posts
coil wire

The positive side of the coil should end up being the trigger for the msd if I remember correctly and also is the plan to use that for your 12 volt red wire from the msd as I would say hook up the msds positive red and negative power leads to thebattery but just my thoughts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts