Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69-351w has the Edelbrock performer rpm package with minor changes but now I'm getting around to the ignition upgrades. My knowledge of ignitions isnt the best so I called msd tech support and he said I need the 8478 distributer. I've already got the 6al box and coil but they make lots of 351 distributers(mostly cheaper too) any suggestions? Car is mostly babied with the occasional heavy foot and possibly future run down the track. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
The 8478 is the only one that has the vacuum advance, from MSD and you want that on a street driven car.

I went that route with my 69, FULL MSD ignition. Distributor, 6AL, wires, coil.

The Ford Duraspark distributor is same "style", I.E., magnetic pick p, as the MSD. I have Duraspark in two of my other cars, and the 70 has the pertronix in it. For my money, in my opinion, a duraspark distributor with the other upgrades is the way to go.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
^Yep.

Unless you just want a fancy red MSD so you can raise the hood and make people "ooh" and "aah" at your cool distributor. The Duraspark doesn't really have much cool factor.
Either way, the MSD has the vacuum advance, which you need, so that's the better part to use.
The MSD is also easier to recurve than the Duraspark, so there's that. Both will probably need to be fiddled with to get the ignition curve right.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote!

The Ford Duraspark distributor is same "style", I.E., magnetic pick p, as the MSD. I have Duraspark in two of my other cars, and the 70 has the pertronix in it. For my money, in my opinion, a duraspark distributor with the other upgrades is the way to go.

I 100% back this up!There is no reason to waste the money on a MSD! The Dura spark is $35-40 bucks and looks stock, and has vacuum advance that is easy to adjust. Here is 2 links I used.
All my cars have Dura spark with or w/o MSD.
Chris, AZ

http://webpages.charter.net/1bad6t/duraspark.html

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_index.html

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Upside to using a Duraspark distributor is parts are found at any local parts store. If you want to keep it stealthy you can use a small distributor cap, but if you go hotter - like with a high-output coil or MSD module, do yourself a favor and use the wide cap - and make sure it has brass terminals and not aluminum.

·
11,000 Posts
Totally agree. The Duraspark is the way I would go to fire the MSD 6AL. Of course the original distributor with either points or a Pertronix is also a fine way to light the spark plugs.

The 8478 is the only one that has the vacuum advance, from MSD and you want that on a street driven car.

I went that route with my 69, FULL MSD ignition. Distributor, 6AL, wires, coil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts