Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to be redundant , but I didn't find what I was looking for. I know I don't want to burn up my tach, so that's why I'm posting my questions. I have a 68 XR7 390 that I've got the pertronix setup in my distributor and now I'm adding a 6AL box (MSD) my questions

1 I need the 8910 tach adapter
2 do you need to use the diode that comes with tach adapter in series with the little red wire

3 the red and white wires go to the wire harness that use to hookup distrib and the black /orange goes to coil
4 what is tach hookup for on the oposite side of 6AL from the main wire? thanks again mike

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well, to answer your question...maybe. See the MSD wiring schematic for the Pertronix. Orange and Black go to the coil, White and Red go to the Pertronix. Small Red on the MSD goes to Red on the Pertronix and to a 12v switched source. So it sounds like your using your factory tach. I would try and plug it into the tach signal output on the other side of the box (where the magnetic pickup is). It won't hurt it, if it won't work it won't work, then you'll need the tach adapter. The diode you might need, depends on where you pick up the 12v switched power source from. If the car has run on after it's all hooked up then you'll need to use the diode in the charging lamp indicator feed wire. Does the car have the charging lamp indicator on the dash or an amp meter?
Sorry I'm throwing more questions out there and that there's no simple answer to it but the MSD wiring guide is just that, a guide. Get back to me and I'll give you a hand when you get there...http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Ignitions/6420_instructions.pdf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts