Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having some troubles with get my Msd 6 plus to work properly. Im running one of those pertronix ignitor kits on my distributor and I wired my car accordingly to that companies instructions but I can only get spark when cranking the engine. I do have the red wire hooked up to the 12v with the key on the ON position. The little red led light on the side of the box also only turns on when the engine is cranking. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
You have to have power during start and run. Right now you are getting power from the bypass at the starter solenoid. Can you tell us exactly where each wire is connected?

·
Registered
321 Posts
If memory serves me correctly...Green with a Red stripe is hot in key on and start on the back of your ignition switch, but check to make sure..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm.. its a brown wire and it was the wire that was previously hooked to the coil+ but ill check it when i have the chance the last owner of the car did lots of weird wiring so i wont be surprized if something is not right, he many have also just changed the key switch

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Do a search for Pertronix wiring. If you used the coil feed wire you do not have the system wired correctly. The topic has been covered many many times and you will find lots of great information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts