Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, we're relocating back to Leavenworth, KS in about 6 weeks. I can ship the car for about $1200 or rent a truck and take it myself, my nephew also has a truck and I can pay for his gas and use it, I'll just have to rent a trailer. I'll still have to come back and drive my dd there as well, but based on that what would you guys do? My wife wants me to ship it but I'm still leary of others driving my car when I can't check up on it periodically.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
How you getting all your household stuff back? If you are renting the truck for that, I'd rent the trailer and drag it back w/you and have a good friend take your DD along as well. 1 trip and done. I'm not to crazy about borrowing something from relatives/friends just in case something happened, breaks, etc. Locally to pick up a load of wood is different....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is your nephew's truck newer and reliable? If something breaks on the road, it's even more of a pain when you have a classic car on a trailer to deal with.
Does his truck have a high enough towing capacity to tow the Cougar and a trailer? There's nothing more nerve-wracking than hauling your pride and joy behind a truck that is just barely big enough. (I once towed a #1 condition 1936 Cord from Indy to Atlanta under those circumstances, and I'd never do it again.)

You might post the transport job at a broker like UShip.com to see what responses you get. I used them to find a hauler to move my Cougar from ATL to Denver and saved a lot of money. At that website, you can view customer reviews of shippers, and you can specify enclosed or open transport, etc... If you do pay to have your car transported, be sure to ask the hauler for a copy of their insurance, and verify with their insurer that the policy is still valid.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My nephews truck is a 2009 Ford Super duty, its his toy and it won't have any problem pulling the cat. As for moving my household goods, we're using a moving company and unfortunately this particular company doesn't move vehicles. Cougarfan thanks for the tip, I'll look at the broker route too.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I use a broker, his name is Steve Craig. His email is [email protected]. Just got a quote from San Jose, CA to Tallahassee, FL for $900, open trailer. Greg

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Greg I just sent him an email. I put my car info on the uship.com site and only one shipper responded at first. I got to reading some of their customer reviews and there were a lot of negative ones ranging from price hikes to delivering vehicles more than 10 days late. Hopefully Greg can give me a decent deal. Thanks again, Martin.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I sent him an e-mail...he responded after hours. I talked to him the next day and he was very helpful. The quote was less than I could have done by renting from U-haul. So far it's been a really good experience. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I had good luck with United Road. Good price and quick service. Phone # 866-608-6277

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks mopardon, I'll give them a call as well. We have to get a firm move out date as we are going to lease our house here in AL until the market recovers some more, right now we would lose well over $20K just by listing it at what we purchased it for 2 yrs ago.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I'm in San Jose. What are you taking out of my town? We don't have enough Cougars as it is.
I was, maybe still, interested in the white 5 speed listed on SF craigslist. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2157074260.html. it says posting expired now. All the cats around here are just not in the same condition. I could buy from the west coast and have it shipped for way less than having to install floors and quarters. I have bought a couple of cars from the left and had them shipped to FL from $700 to $1000. Greg

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My wife found a shipper that will do it for $750. They're going to give me a price for an enclosed container but if it's crazy high I'll probably go with the first quote.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts