Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Contributing Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two ford V-8's. One is a 302 and the other is a 351W. Both came from a 69-model year Ford/Mercury. Is there some part interchangeability between them? I was particularly interested if this was applicable with the intake manifold (2BBL) at the very least.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The intake's are not interchangable. The heads are (head bolt holes are larger on a 351w, can be used on a 289/302 but 289/302 headbolt holes have to be drilled out for bigger bolts.) Exhaust manifolds are the same. Camshafts will interchange, timing gears/chain, flywheels & balancer, (81 and older engines) but not much else.
Scott

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
To use the 351W heads on the SBF, purchase special "shouldered" bolts from Ford or most speed shops.
When using SBF cam in a 351W, remember to use SBF firing order.
There are adapter plates available to use SBF intake manifolds on 351W. I do not have the link here, but can post it later if no one else does.

Found the link to Price Motorsports: http://www.pricemotorsport.com/Intake_Adapters/intake_adapters.html
Just so you know - last I heard the adapters cost more than a new manifold, so unless you have an ultra-rare piece on that SBF, I would buy a new/used 351W intake.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Front covers, water pumps, balancers, transmissions will interchange....Oil pan, AC bracket, PS bracket, distributor, intake manifold will not swap...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine used to have a 289 with 351 Windsor heads. The only real problem I ran into was pushrods. You have to get the right ones for that specific application. I broke a couple and then finally dropped a valve after several burst of nitrous. I would probably go with a roller set up if I did that again. Damn thing ran strong though. I outran a 55 Chevy with a 400 one night without nitrous. With it I would have walked off and left him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts