Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am happy to be back working on my Cougar and on mercurycougar.net. I got the car cleaned up and running then decided to overhaul the carb because it hesitated at acceleration. I followed the kit instructions and took my time in a clean environment but it was new to me. When I installed the carb it would not start and gas spilled out the vent holes hopelessly flooding the car. I learned more and figured out I didn't have the float pin holding wire clipped correctly. I fixed that and tried starting again the next day but no go and this time I took a plug out and it was flooded again. I opened the top of the MC 2100 and realized the bowl did not fill. I poured gas in the bowl and even if I held the float pin down it drained. I again don't really know what I am doing yet with this engine so I don't know what is normal, if the bowl should always be full etc. Any help would be great and I would like to share plans to upgrade to a Edlebrock 4 barrel and Edelbrock 2750 manifold in hopes of gaining any in-site from some real experience out there. First I want to get everything smoothed out with the 2barrel. Thank you very much - Sean

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
On the one hand, 2V carbs are usually not to bad to rebuild, but on the other hand, the devil is in the details on any carb work. Float level set at the right height? New gaskets underneath? Throttle shaft still secure? Take it apart again, and verify your work...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you I will do that. I have a couple really basic questions still. Can you tell me if the bowl should always have gas in it, even when off? Also should the barrels spray a fine mist when the throttle is pulled with the engine off, or does it drip? I am also looking for any secrets like the float pin clip slipping into that little notch in the nut in the float bowl, that is something you just have to know or you may not see. I guess I will see what happens and thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The bowl should hold gas, if it don't, you may have a bad power valve or you left the gasket off of the new one. The fuel should squirt out in a stream, and not ever drip. you must get the float pin clip slipping into that little notch in the nut(which is called the needle valve seat) in the float bowl or the fuel spill over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh super good stuff Tomcat....I will focus on these things in my 2nd rebuild. I ran into the needle valve seat over flow problem and flooded the hell out of it. After I fixed that I thought I must be ready to go but then it didn't start the next day after hopefully drying out. That was when I opened it back up and saw it wasn't holding gas in the bowl either.....and now 2nd rebuild. Hey thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts