Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need you guys to give me your opion on an engine for my '69SS. currently it has a 351W. I'd like it to be a "fast" driver. Mostly weekend cruises, etc. I was thinking of puting a 460 or a 428 in, but also had a friend tell me that I'd get the most bang for the buck by just hot rodding out the 351. I've got to admit, this is the first ford I've played with in about twenty years, and I just don't remember what's good and what's not.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
How fast do you want to go? It costs money!!! The 351 is plenty capable of producing great performance with some mods,heads, intake, cam and headers will really wake it up. A 428 is a bolt in but not cheap. The 460 will require shock tower mods and a hood scoop. The big blocks look cool with the hood up but 351w is probably the cheapest and easiest to deal with. Now that should be as clear as mud!:D
John
wvcat
357w/dartII heads/ big FMS cam/ AOD/ 3:73 posi

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can't go wrong with the 351W, most people leave those parts alone because they want big block engines. Minimal dollars for headers, dual exhaust, good card & intake, a more aggressive cam and you are on your way. Ford SVO makes a great "crate" 351 and Roush Pefromance makes a 430 hp version....
http://www.roushperf.com/catalog/whatsnew.htm

·
Registered
889 Posts
parts are few

I got a 390,I can find some or all the HP parts but its a hunt.351s any thing you want.It took me 6 months to find a new dual quad manifold and im not telling where its at

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Someone explain 'more agressive cam' to me, degrees etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey 72cat
I would stay with the small block. Perf parts are more available, and less costly. I have a fairly agressive cam in my 289, 302, 351w, combo. The specs are 504 lift & 292 duration on 112 center line. That is considered a mild street & strip cam, but you need a good set of heads & good compression to back it up.
Then you should have a pretty snappy little engine. But of course thats just my opinion. There are lots of combos that can be used.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would definetly stay with the 351W ,more readily available parts and tons of great aftermarket part to go fast. One great little engine with tons of potential. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts