Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been talking to different ppl and I've been told that id b able to bolt a 460ci motor to my fmx trans with no issues where my 351c 2bbl is now. Is that true or is what am I missing? I'm looking to boost some more power out of my motor if I don't need to do motor swap. I also heard that I can add 4bbl carb and intake on a 2bbl heads and motor; is that possible? Or is there something I'd have to do first before bolting the parts on?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I've been talking to different ppl and I've been told that id b able to bolt a 460ci motor to my fmx trans with no issues where my 351c 2bbl is now. Is that true or is what am I missing?
That would be true for a 351M. 351C has completely different transmission bolt pattern and motor mount provisions than a 460.

I'm looking to boost some more power out of my motor if I don't need to do motor swap. I also heard that I can add 4bbl carb and intake on a 2bbl heads and motor; is that possible? Or is there something I'd have to do first before bolting the parts on?
A factory 4V intake can be physically bolted to a 2V engine. The port size mis-match makes this less than optimum from an airflow perspective, and getting everything to seal without any vacuum leaks could be a challenge. But I wouldn't bother, as there are plenty of aftermarket 4V intakes specifically designed to work with 2V heads. Regardless of intake used, be aware that its never going to be a direct 1 for 1 swap.
Going from 2V to 4V, the fuel line, throttle linkage (and transmission kickdown for automatics) will usually need to be modified. Depending on the intake and any carb spacer(s) used, a different air cleaner may be needed for hood clearance. Choke provisions will likely need to be addressed. Accessories that bolt to the intake will possibly need to be relocated, etc. Its a popular swap though, so you're unlikely to encounter any insurmountable problems.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ok, I'll start this and hope others will chime in on what I miss, 351C and 351W use the same trans. bolt pattern, there is a 351M and a 400 that has the same bolt pattern as the 385 series engines (429/460). There is a special after market manifold for 2v to 4v C Engines that are not too expensive.

Looks like I come in second again, I need to learn how to type faster.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Ok, I'll start this and hope others will chime in on what I miss, 351C and 351W use the same trans. bolt pattern, there is a 351M and a 400 that has the same bolt pattern as the 385 series engines (429/460). There is a special after market manifold for 2v to 4v C Engines that are not too expensive.

Looks like I come in second again, I need to learn how to type faster.
LOL Carlton. On the manifolds, Edelbrock makes the 2750 which is the Performer and the 7564 which is the Air Gap. Both are intended to put a 4V carb on 2V heads. There are other companies making similar manifolds (like Weiand and Offenhauser I am sure) but the Edelbrocks are probably the most popular (and I have run and have both of the manifolds I mentioned). The Performer is probably best for the street (and has exhaust crossover) but the AG has more rise and is much "cooler" looking (and actually is cooler by virtue of the air gap and no exhaust crossover).

Probably more than you wanted to know but the AG gives me more trouble with cold starting than the Performer did. The carb seems to want one (electric) choke setting in the summer and another in the winter (having exhaust crossover helps with this problem). Wonder if I will ever get fed up and change back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts