Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I got a 69 cougar XR-7 that the motor was blown up and couldn’t be saved. I bought a 351w out of a 94 bronco that was EFI. I am trying to change it from EFI to carburetor since that’s what the car was and I have those parts. I was wondering if anyone has done anything like this and knows what needed to be done to do it. I just don’t know if I can swap timing covers and the intake manifold and be good to go or if there is more needed to be done. I have a C4 transmission that I’m going to be using with a manual valve body. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey guys,
I got a 69 cougar XR-7 that the motor was blown up and couldn’t be saved. I bought a 351w out of a 94 bronco that was EFI. I am trying to change it from EFI to carburetor since that’s what the car was and I have those parts. I was wondering if anyone has done anything like this and knows what needed to be done to do it. I just don’t know if I can swap timing covers and the intake manifold and be good to go or if there is more needed to be done. I have a C4 transmission that I’m going to be using with a manual valve body. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Everything will swap over from your engine. You will need to take the alignment dowels out of the 94 block for the timing cover though so you can use yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a heads up. And this may not even be an issue to you. The Broncos and truck 351W came with flat tappet cams. I believe it was the 96 and newer came with roller. Obviously the roller is better for performance, but i mention this also because you’ll need to add zinc to you oil at every oil change. If not, you’ll eventually destroy the valve train.
you may also want to look into better heads. The Bronco engine was built for torque. Not very impressive in a car in stock trim. But it is a very good platform to start with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts