Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As allways great info here on this site! So were getting closer to the motor swap on the xr7g tribute! so We have a 5.o out of a ford explorer not sure of the year just yet. It has gt40 heads on it low miles great starting point! Sooo first question want to replace timing cover and water pump with 28 oz animal to stay with mech. pump so can i just keep with pulleys to stay with the surpentene set up. if so how do I connect the newer power steering pump to the exisiting hoses?? next question what mods have to be done to the headers to work with the gt40 heads?? And last want to go with the e303 cam some one was saying i can use everything there thats stock but need to swap the exhaust valve springs?Any input would be great! And yes its going carbed we als know about dist gear needing replacing correct flex plate thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would convert to efi if I was you and you have the parts with the motor. The explorer harness is as easy to simplfie as compared to other harnesses. All your valve springs will need to changed. The stock spring are not really good enough for the stock cam. http://www.alexsparts.com/sb-ford-gt40p-drop-in-valve-spring-kit-hyd-roller/ The explorer cam is a real turd, unless your pulling stumps. The 96/97 explorer 5.0 have gt40 heads. The gt40 heads have no problems with spark plug clearence ,and have bigger valves. The 98 and up explorers have gt40p heads. These heads have relocated spark plugs and can have fittment problems with headers and manifolds. If the header doesn't go directly into a bend after the flange you will probably be fine. Cast manifolds will not work on gt40p heads. The gt40p heads are a more efficient head. I have been tinkering with these motors lately and they are my new fetish. The 28 balancers will not work at all. Only 50oz balancers and flywheels/ flexplates. If your motor has the harness and pcm with it I would simplfie the harness and flash your pcm for you for $400. I am a delta force tuning dealer. http://www.deltaforcetuning.com/ just some food for thought. I love to get twice the mpg as I did with carb. The accessory drive is short on the explorer. I really like it also. The old timing cover will work on the explorer motor but you will have the switch all the accessory drive including water pump. You will also need to change the oil pump and pick up tube. the explorer is a rear sump.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts