Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 68 had a torn down motor...

i have an 85 302 out of an F150.... I've stripped down the truck's fuel injection crap and putting an intake and carb on it. Its NOT a roller motor as the rollers didnt get into the trucks till the 90s.... so its basically just an almost 20 yr newer version of what was in it.

questions: i have the stock flywheel/flexplate whatever and harmonic balancer from the 68. the balancer on the 85 is different.

Can I use the 68s plate and balancer or do i need to get a later flex plate to go with the later balancer and if so can i drill the pulley or do i need to get an aftermarket balancer thats the correct weight AND bolt holes?

please help clear up the 28 vs 50 oz issue for me. thanks.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
The crank, balancer and flexplate all have to be the same imbalance. You can not use a 50oz crank with a 28oz flywheel and flexplate. Roller 302 does imply 50oz imbalance, but non-roller 302 does not imply 28 oz imbalance. 81 to 95 is 50 oz imbalance. 68 to 80 is 28 oz imbalance. You have to find a 50 oz flexplate and balancer.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats kinda what i was thinkin..... does anyone have a 50 oz with the correct bolt holes for the 68 pulley? i know the number of bolts is different....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
you can pick up an "adjustable" balancer that has pre-drilled holes for either 3 bolt or 4 bolt pulleys and also has a couterweight that can be added removed for 28/50 oz imbalance. I think I got mine through Jegs or Summit if memorey serves....the nice thing is you could use it for a roller motor too if you ever decided to go that route. (and it looks good!)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool. and scour junk yards and online for the flexplate i assume? or is there a better source for a better unit? i assume i need to make sure the starter is compatable with the later flex plate?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
what trans is in the 68? is there bosses in the lifter valley, for a spider to be drilled out?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
C4 and huh? its a completely assembled motor....
this is my first "real" project....i did a motor swap back in the mid 90s on my first truck when i was 16- 350 for a reman 350 swap so it wasnt changing anything to make it work....

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I wouldn't mess with a junkyard flexplate - buy the correct one for your app from Summit or whatever, you are better off. Plus you can get an SFI plate pretty reasonable. The only diff's on Ford 2 bolt starters is the nose lengths....and some required shim plates depending on tha application since some trans' had thicker housings than others....you will want to double check that it doesn't ride to close or bind when you get around to setting it up.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
your 302 you have the intake off? in the lifter galley

·
Registered
708 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts