Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my motor back from behing rebuilt and have a few questions. should i put oul in the motor while its sitting in the garage? im hopeing it will go back in the car in a month but it may be longer then that.
second, i was told to use oil with zink. what is good oil to use?

thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine was stored for 20 years in my garage. Endured cold winters and hot humid summers with no problem. Freshly rebuilt motors have enough assembly oils applied to the components that you don't need to store the motor filled with oil. All I did was fog each cylinder then inserted spark plugs (finger tight), removed the carb, cut up a plastic garbage bag and placed it over the intake manifold then bolted a metal plate in place of the carb, covered the ends of the exhaust manifolds with plastic bags and taped them tight, did the same for the inlets and outlets for the water pump. I pulled the valve covers and oil pan this year prior to installing the motor and everything looked like it had been rebuilt the day before. Keep in mind I was doing this for long term storage. If you are storing for a few months I wouldn't worry about it. Bag it and set it aside. Add the oil when your ready to start it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
i got my motor back from behing rebuilt and have a few questions. should i put oul in the motor while its sitting in the garage? im hopeing it will go back in the car in a month but it may be longer then that.
second, i was told to use oil with zink. what is good oil to use?

thanks
Your engine will be fine if you bag it from dust. Do not add oil until you install the engine, also you may want to prime the oiling system prior to starting. As for the oil, there are a number of zinc addatives you can add to your favorite oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts