Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I went to start the 67 289 the other nite and it gave me some grief. It was hard to stay running until I gave it a bit of extra gas. It stayed running smooth at 2,000 RPM(which is wierd because the fast idle is set at 1450) and when ever I go to kick it down it sputters and dies...I've tried it since and the same goes: seems it will only stay alive over 2000rpm. I am guessing at this point that it is fuel related; filter, pump, ???

Any one else got a different spin on it? It was running just fine the other day. Do you think the timing chain is suspect?

Oh, to add misery to my situation: I go to shut the hood today and my passenger hood hinge decides to bust apart...Now I need one and I had one a few years back, but sold it with a 68...

GRIEF!:(

·
Registered
698 Posts
Miss

It would be hard to pin point with out more info. If it runs smooth at 2000 or more, I would suspect a vacuum leak first. Check your hoses. Brake booster, headlights, advance and the bolts holding your carb down. If you can't find a hood hinge let me know, I think I may have one and I would let you have it for the shipping costs.

·
11,000 Posts
Check your points too!

I would pop the distributor cap and make sure the points are opening. Could be they are burned.

Royce Peterson

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep I checked the points and all is sound under the cap. I did search for a vaccuum leak and didn't find anything. I purchased a fuel pump and filter and will that a go tomorrow...Thanks for your quick response. I will let you know on the hood hinge and thank you for the offer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel filter faulty

I was pleased to get it purring again by changing the fuel filter: I have a old rusty fuel tank that is overdue for replacement and I was down to fumes the other day and I assume that the carb tried to suck up a bit of rust or a 35 year old chunck of contanimant. Chalk one up to easier instead of harder!

I am still in hood hinge limbo though. Badcat427 can you assist?
Thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Disregard the above

The car's acting up again...same symptoms as before...apparantly intermittant...right now not running right...On top of that in pulling off the hood hinge one of the bolts pulled the threaded backing right out of the fender wall...yeesh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you might try the filter sock on the fuel pick up in the tank. if the rust and stuff is heavy in your tank then it will get trapped in the sock and restrict fuel flow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's an angle...Thanks,

I am going to try the fuel pump tomorrow since I bought one already...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Success!

The culprit was the float in my stock autolite 4300...The hinge pin had backed out and thats why it was running so peculiar and intermittant to boot...

All is good now...Thanks for the responses...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts