Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost finished with the rebuild of my 351W in my 69 Vert. It hould be ready for the West Coast Nats show. As soon as I this car is done, I need to rebuild the 351C out of my sons Ranchero (he blew it up last week). Here are my questions.

1) What type of oil should I use for break-in?

2) Do any of you recommend Synthetic Oil (Mobil 1) for our older cars. I've always used standard 20-50 but I'm thinking of starting these motors with synthetic.

Please respond if you have first hand experience or if you have actual data to use. Thanks.

Z

·
Super Moderator
11,006 Posts
Oils

With a new engine you should first run in the cam at 2500 RPM for 15 minutes using a straight 30W oil. Then drain that oil.

After cam break in you should install a new filter and use a mineral based oil for engine break in. This period should be for about the first 1000 - 2000 miles.

Synthetic oils are overly priced for the minor amount of theoretical benefits they may or may not give in my opinion. Most of us drive our Cougars only a couple thousand miles a year. Whatever oil you decide to use it needs to be changed on an annual basis at a minimum along with the filter.

Cougar engines were dsigned to use 10W - 30 in the winter and 10W - 40 in the summer. Use of 5W - oils may result in increased oil consumption, leaks and seeps. That aside, modern oils are all superior to anything available when our cars were new. Modifications by your machinist / engine builder may affect these factors.

Ask your machinist or engine builder what he recommends and use that if it will affect the warranty. My machinist recommends 20W - 50 Valvoline Racing oil for summer use and 10W-30 Valvoline for winter use so that is what I use in my 427's.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm no expert but I just went through the same thing with my 302. I've always used 20w 50 and have preferred the highest viscosity possible, living in a hot climate. While researching these questions I found the majority of "experts" did not recommended using synthetic for break-in so I didn't. A friend who builds hi-po motorcycle motors explained that on initial startup and break-in he wants the oil distributed to the top end as quickly as possible so he uses a very "light" oil. I chose to use Castrol 5w 30. I ran that for the first 1000 miles (2 changes) and then switched to Mobil 1 15w 50. Again, I'm no expert but this seemed to work fine so far. Good luck with your 351, I hope you'll have the same pleasant surprise that I had when you turn that ignition for the first time.

Roy

·
Registered
568 Posts
I didn't see Royce's post until after I posted mine. I'm not disagreeing with Royce about the 30w on break-in, just passing on what I heard from a friend about using a lighter oil.

Roy

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've broken in a couple of engines and I've used the straight 30w like Royce. the only difference was that my machinist recommended non-detergent oil. He said it helps keep the high pressure lubricants on the cam lobes, push-rods and valve tips.

I agree with Royce on the rest of the procedure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo have high zinc content that's great for flat tappet cams. I've been using these oils in my 70 cleveland for over thirty years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts