Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 67 Cougar. The 289 is shot and I traded it for an 86 302. I would like to put in an AOD. I also want to add power disc brakes. I have been searching and reading posts for hours and I am hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction. There is a lot of info out there and my shopping list is nonexistent. I recently parted out a 71 and saved the disc brake set up from that. Can I use any of it? Any help would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
447 Posts
when putting in an AOD make sure the headers you are wanting to use clear the trans pan
you can figure out how i know this.

·
Registered
389 Posts
and since u are using an 86 302 make sure you match the motor and balancer/flexplate imbalances...... and you cant use the stock pulleys with the 86 balancer- but there are some aftermarket suppliers so you can retain the stock pulleys. also, make sure whatever setup you use, that the water pump spins the right direction...stock on the 86 is different than on the early one

on mine i just stripped all the goodies off the 302 (aka 5.0) and am going with an aftermarket harmonic balancer and flex plate for the correct imbalance, and staying with the C4 trans. Going to use all the stock accessories and a new 68 water pump.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Yes on the 71 disc brakes if from Cougar/Mustang. I think that there is a tie rod size diff but a search here will tell you about it. Same on the AOD. Many have done it and there are some good write ups in this forum you can search out.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
As "Letsroll" has said, you can use the 71 brakes. Did you save the spindles from the 71? Im asking because I think you have to use them as well for the calipers to mount to. The tie rod ends will have to be changed to 1970 or 71. The master cylinder from the 71 will work as well. What do you have now, 4 wheel drum? if so you will have to get a brake booster for 67 or 68. The brake peddle will also have to be changed, since it is different from standard to power brakes. Don at West Coast Classic cougars can help with this. If you call him, you will probably be able to get the master cylinder, booster and brake peddle to all work together. Since you didn't say if you have drum brakes all around and you currently have power brakes for the 67, then just change out the spindle, brake calipers and rotors from the 71.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. Currently it's 4 wheel drum non power. I saved spindles from the 71.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
You will also need a disk to drum distribution block. If you still have access to the car, get the master cylinder if still good and the distribution block. You will then need the brake booster and brake peddle. Just keep in mind that if you use 67 to 69 master cylinder, then use the other parts that go with it for that year. If your doing the 71 parts then use those but not the brake booster.
It would still be good to contact wccc to confirm what I have said and to get your parts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
you can use the 71-73 disc brake set up as long as you saved the spindles, the complete spindles will bolt right up, you will have to buy outer tie rod ends for a 71-73, they will fit the spindle and thread into your current adjusting sleeve, add a proportioning valve and your good to go. Master Cylinder, if you have manual brakes the master for a 78 Granada with manual disc is perfect, I used this set up on my 67.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't think you'll be happy with the '86 5.0L (E6) heads. Ford liked them so much on the '86 Mustang that they quickly ditched them for the E7 truck heads. The did retain the E6 heads for the passenger car non-HO motors for a number of years. Evidently, they had destroyed the molds for the '85 and earlier heads and had to use the E7 heads with good results. The '86 Mustang also had pistons with no valve reliefs, so you'll be limited on cam and head selection for future mods. Even swapping E7 heads is hit or miss with valve to piston clearance. Trickflow Twisted Wedge heads are about he only aftermarket performance heads that are pretty much guaranteed not have valve to piston clearance issues.

http://www.carbdford.com/viewtopic.php?t=4731&sid=507d00a47962104c7ae9a0c0684d698e

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=72632

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=116864

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. I am going a different route now. I just picked up a 92 Lincoln Mark VII. The AOD in that was rebuilt 10k miles ago. Any thoughts on this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts