Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone made their hood scoop functional, and if so, how well did it work? and how much of a pita was it? I would think that the gte scoop would be a waste of time, was thinking more of the eliminator scoop.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
The eliminator scoop is functional on ram air equiped cars.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
What do you mean by functional? I have made my scoop functional by cutting a hole in the bottom of the hood and then installing the top plate and flap ( permantly open) so cold air can go into the air cleaner assembly...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry, didn't clarify. i have a 67 xr7 that i would like to use an eliminator scoop and "functional" ram air into the air cleaner. I am undecided as to use the lower part of a shaker air cleaner or a ram airbox that would enclose the air cleaner assy. I had a 65 rustang shelby clone which we made the shelby scoop functional and discovered that the scoop couldn't get enough air into the engine since it was only an inch tall. I believe this would be the same problem with the gte scoop that I currently have on the car. But, the eleiminator scoop is much taller and wider, so there is a lot of air volume capacity. I was curious if anyone has cut the hole in the hood to do the mod and was it worth it? My hood isn't in the greatest shape and already has holes in it. thanks for any replies/advice.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If you aren't concerned about exactly duplicating a factory set-up, its pretty simple. Simply replace the stock air cleaner lid with one from a 289 HiPo filter. Cut a piece of garage door bottom weathestrip to fit around the aircleaner base, and glue the ends together to make the "seal" to the hood. Done.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
^^ X2 what Jay said. Works wonderfully on my ECI-mobile, looks great too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anyone have any pictures? don't have a hipo cleaner, have a 14x3 k&n drop base air cleaner assy with the filter top, but I could surely make it work as well.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
there's one on here somewhere if you search you will see it - looks pretty good actually!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts