Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Nothing leaks, but after I fixed the sending unit, now there is an incredibly large amount of setiment building up it the fuel filter. I tried my best to get rid of all the loose stuff in the tank, but alas there is still so much stuff. The filter gets clogged up really fast [within a day] What should I do???? :( -Chad

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Chad,

Your only option is to drop the tank again and rinse all of that crud out. Yes, I know it is work, but you knocked all of that %&*@ loose when you disturbed the sending unit.

The inside of your tank has a lot of rust scale from 'normal' condensation on is inner top surface. With all of your messing around you knocked a good portion of that loose. That's why the factory pickup has a screen on it. It will trap most of the crud. The finer particles will still get through. Tht's why you have a filter at the carb on a factory setup.

Sorry I can't be a bearer of any better news...

Cougrrcj

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Bummer dude....but he is right. Your omly choice is to clean the tank or keep replacing the filters...

Don:cool:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn I should have just bought a new tank. Maybe that's what I'll do. What's the best way to flush the tank out? Or maybe I'll just string about 15 or 20 filters together and get some high flow drag race electric fuel pump, I mean it has to go away eventually right!?!? - thanks Chad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts