Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys I know you have all talked a lot about radiators, but I really enjoy good radiator conversation and I know most of you do too.
So here is my question I have a 20 1/4" 2 core radiator, no shroud and some funky fiberglass 5 blade fan. The rad. has some holes in it so I need to replacce it. Can I or should I put in a 24" 3 core or will a 20" 3 core do the job. I also can't find a shroud at a parts store, are there any other vehicles I can find at a junk yard with a shroud and fan that will fit.

btw I have a 68 cat 289 auto trany no a/c and it get hot - fast.

Thanks guys

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
3 core will help and they are not to expensive i think it was under 200.00 last time i looked in mustangs unlimited. the fan shround can be gotten on sale for around 50 or less. The more serface you have cooling the better but i dont think the 24 will be a straight bolt in where as the 20 will you may have to run some modifications. I would just go with the 20 as with the 3 row it will be better than stock. while your at it replace the pump with a hi flow unit as well or just a new one will help things considerablly. if you find a junkyard fan shroud and try to get one to fit it always looks hokey and your half way to the price of a new one in repop. the repops are good and bolt right in without hassel and look correct.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Radiators

I have a 20 1/4 fan shroud new in box email me with zip code I will email you back with price with s&h.70 XR7 ragtop

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mustangs Unlimited is awsome. I just bought a new 3 row radiator, steel fan, shroud and hoses for 300 bucks, and it'll be here by Friday!!!
The water pump looks pretty new so I will put all this on and see how it cools. If I still have problems then I will add a new pump to my list, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I'm glad checked here first, I have the tendency to get cheap and need to remind myself that going cheap is very expensive.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
nothin wrong with inexpensive lord knows im as cheap as they come but crap in means crap out truly correct.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exhaust Problems???

So I get home all excited about the radiator on its way and decide to tackle this pretty bad exhaust leak. I couldn't feel anything around the manifold. Then I removed the oil fill cap and exhaust came puttering out.
Is there supposed to be exhaust under the valve cover???

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Not in my experience... sounds like either your rings or your valves aren't sealing.
Does it burn a lot of oil? Yes -> probably rings
No -> probably valves
Perform a compression test, and make sure all of the cylinders are within ~10% of each other. Other people here might be able to give a pressure that is typical for a healthy engine (like 150 psi or something).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure if she burns oil. I haven't had her running long enought to find out. I haven't put any money into in engine yet and I'm trying to decide if I should start thinking about replaceing it.

It sound great no pings or misses, smoothe idle, no burnt oil smell from inside the valve train. But low oil pressure on idle and this probable valve job is starting to sound like a total engine rebiuld is in the near future. Way beyond my beginner skills.

Has anybody heard of or bought from www.enginefactory.com. Or does anyone know of a good mechanic in the seattle area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts