Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In RandomMan's thread on
'67 4 piston calipers , CougarCJ mentioned find a 70s Granada/Monarch or Maverick/Comet in the junkyard and using those spindles, rotors and calipers on a 67 or 68 Cougar. He mentioned that brake parts for those cars are cheaper than Cougar parts. Are there any other advantages? Are the rotors any bigger?

What all needs to be done for this? I seem to recall you need spindles, rotors, calipers and tie rod ends from the donor car. Anything else?

I have to replace the rotors and calipers on my Cougar in the near future and I guess if I can find rotors and calipers cheaper for Granada/Monarch/Maverick/Comet I might go that route. If going that route gives more braking than I'm definitely going to try it.

This also reminds me that Ray mentioned using '67 Fairlane station wagon drums on the rear for more braking. Does anyone have a part # for these? Is anything other than the drums, pads and springs needed?
Neal

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The Granada/Monarch conversion is pretty popular, or was in the 80's anyway.
Sure, you can do it pretty easily too. Find a spindle and stop there with the used parts. Buy new rotors, bearings and all the rest. Don't count on used parts from a jyd in your braking system.
Also, a Lincoln Versailles (a lincoln granada with a 302) will have a disk brake equipped rear that will bolt up to your car and fit right. Then, you'll have four wheel disc brakes. Provided you can find a Versailles in a jyd.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Also, a Lincoln Versailles (a lincoln granada with a 302) will have a disk brake equipped rear that will bolt up to your car and fit right. Then, you'll have four wheel disc brakes. Provided you can find a Versailles in a jyd
Yes, but also don't count on the Versailles front spindles for this conversion. As they are different. Some people have tried that before. Buy a Versailles for the rear..and tried the front spindles too, doesn't work. :)

Actually, somewhere in the garage I have some Granada Spindles, calipers(rebuilt), and rotors(new). That I was going to use on my Comet. The spindles came off a 6-cylinder equipped car, which means it only has 10" Discs instead of the 11" of the V8 cars(V8's are next to impossible to find in your bone yard now). I was going to use these spindles with a small block.

I know some probably wouldn't, but comparing, in my opinion at least. The spindles look as large if not larger then '65 Mustang V8 spindles. Also a 302 only weighs an extra 80lbs over a 200 I-6. So I wasn't concerned about the spindles giving out. <-Just thought I'd add that for those wondering.

I'm not going to use them on my Cougar now, since I'm going back with a big block and I already have big block suspension.

I'm going to clean out the garage on Sunday, which means they'll end up on Ebay sometime Sunday night most likely....Unless someone around here wants it before hand.

Err....excuse the long drawn out "sales pitch like" post here. LOL...

-Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts